need some body restoration advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I may have bittin off more than I can chew. I have come to the point in the body restortation where I need some helpful advice. I dont have any experience in sheet metal or body work. The biggest issue right now is not knowing how to keep the body (or whats left of it) square. To bring you up to speed here is where I'm at.

'74? Tub minus both 1/4 panels and drivers side wheel tub.

'77? 1/4 panels and drivers side wheel tub.

No rear sil (I will rebuild)

No rockers (built not on the truck)

And all the usual rust and dust.

Brand new body mount kit

What is left of the tub is in very good shape. I am leary of welding all the parts in because I have no idea what order to work in or how to keep the project square. I dont want to look for another body, this one has been a fun project but I need to get it on the road and out of Hodag's garage. I will put some pictures up tomorrow.
Thanks
Tin fish

I just measured up another 40 and wrote down all the measurements, then tacked in temporary angle iron for braces. Just tack things together, measure, grind and retack if necesary.

If you plan on running the hardtop and doors I would suggest fitting everything together with those as well before welding anything in hard.

OK - hindsight aside - any thoughts on how to fix this mess in its current state?

Put it back on the frame, get it pulled around to match a good cruiser, then jig it up, remove, and start the restoration.

The jig should preserve the side to side on the skirt tops, the rear opening, the sill height, and should be cross-braced a bit for strength while handling.

On mine, they cut out the rear wheels and floor, then replaced the sill and floor, then did the skirts and wheel wells, and, finally, replaced the sill.

Nothing sacred about that, as far as I know.

Big deal was to save the top edge of the skirts, but that's no secret.

This thread on my restoration might have some helpful photos:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=27733

Kirk

Thanks - I have a long way to go and your pics will help me sort it all out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom