Need some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had my back wheel fall off on me on friday, it broke every bolt flush and i have been trying to punch the rest of the lug bolt out. I have tryed hammer and punch, sludge hammer, air hammer, and i bought a tool that is the opposite of a puller. I was able to get one out this way. I have tryed wd40ing everything. I have asked around at the tire shops, they all say hammer and punch, went to toyota looking for the special service tool that is suposed to do the trick, and the main mechanic there said he had never heard of it and that they have always used hammer and punch.

Has anyone else ever had this problem, and does anyone know of any tricks, or methods to getting them out.

Thank you

how in the fawk did you shear all your bolts and lose your wheel?

brett76 said:
how in the fawk did you shear all your bolts and lose your wheel?
yeah? what the **** happend?

You can try this. Put the hub, (the thing with the broken studs), into a big bench vise. On the broken end of a stud, put a very short piece of round stock just a little smaller in diameter than the stud. Put an empty socket over the back of the stud. It’s kind of a poor-man's press. Carefully crank the vise while you're supporting the hub. Something will give.

Well i really dont know how i did it, all i know was i got really lucky. I was only going about 10-15km/h when i heard a clunk, so i got out and checked and saw that my was missing all lug bolts and the tire was almost falling off. I called a tow truck imediatly and hauled her home. I was always missing 1 lug bolt on that side, so im guessing a couple had to have come loose and ended up putting too much stress on the rest of them. But every single one was broke flush.

As for the vice idea, i had thought about it, but i would have to open my diff, to pull the axel out. Then i would have to replace diff seal and oil seal, and maybe more, just depending on how things go. But i still appreciate the advice!!

I 2nd the big hammer. I hammered all mine out when I changed the front rotors. How bad are your front rotors? If they are getting thin, forget it and get you some new ones with new wheel bolts.

Something that help me got things unstuck like the tie rod is to use a propane torch and heat it up for a couple of minutes. Then grab some ice cubes from the frezzer and hold them on the bolt. Then give it a few more whacks and if it still is not moving then repeat with torch and ice.

That is good that didn't happen going down the freeway. :eek:

You want to take the rotor off the axle.You don't have to open up the axles to get it off. You just have to set the wheel bearing preload again.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice!!!

I managed to get them out by drilling holes in them and sticking the punch in the hole and wacking it with a sludge hammer. Went through 4 or 5 bits, took 1.5 hours, but they finaly came out lol :doh:

dont you just love it when you finally get crap like that done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom