Need some advice - is this surface rust or something worse?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Mike Dagostino, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Mike Dagostino

Mike Dagostino

First post so be gentle - looking at a 40th Anniversary to purchase but it lives in the Northeast. In the collective experience of the group, does this undercarriage rust look like it is manageable, or fatal? Would appreciate thoughts. Thanks. IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0163.jpg IMG_0167.jpg IMG_0169.jpg IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0163.jpg IMG_0167.jpg IMG_0169.jpg

2. Mike Dagostino

Mike Dagostino

some more IMG_0172.jpg IMG_0174.jpg IMG_0168.jpg IMG_0173.jpg

3. jonheld

jonheld

Pretty typical for a 21 year old truck in the salt.
    Honestly, I've had enough of rusty trucks. I picked up my LX450 in Phoenix and it was spotless.
    Having worked on a rusty truck for years, I would walk away.

BILT4ME, Saito and ZackR like this.
  4. Mike Dagostino

Mike Dagostino

Thanks. Trying to do a cost-benefit analysis here. The cost to transport a rust free truck from out west all the way across country to me is about $1500 minimum. Can something like this be treated for an amount in that range or is it just a headache that will continue to cost money? Whatever I get and wherever from, I will have the undercarriage treated as well.

5. jonheld

jonheld

Rust is the gift that keeps on giving. Any kind of treatment you do will only slow the process, not stop it. People will give you all sorts of ideas on how to treat this kind of rust, but you need to take into account the amount of time and labor involved. And after all that, the truck will continue to rust. It will not stop, it will only slow.
    Every nut and bolt on this truck is already corroded, so anything that you work on will take 4-5 times the amount of labor. You will get good at using a torch and you will buy penetrating liquids by the gallon. You will need to have a good stock of OEM bolts because each one you touch will snap, and you will need a set of left hand drill bits and extractors. That should be part of your factoring as well.

BILT4ME, Mike Dagostino and jpoole like this.
  6. uscmas412

uscmas412 SILVER Star

Check out this build.

We've been replacing parts for the past year; the only way to do a cost-benefit analysis is to budget for replacing every single nut and bolt. I assure you that you'll pay more fixing one properly versus transporting a rig from the SW.

BILT4ME, jonheld and Mike Dagostino like this.
  7. Heckraiser

Heckraiser

I've definitely seen worse--I don't think that one is a lost cause at all. But as @jonheld mentioned, the real cost is in aggravation, not dollars.

If you get a clean one shipped from the SW, please promise not to drive it in the winter. I hate the thought of rust free rigs being brought to the NW to die a slow painful death :eek:

YMT, LC4LIFE, BILT4ME and 3 others like this.
  8. Mike Dagostino

Mike Dagostino

I know , I know....but that is indeed the purpose - I do promise to get whatever I purchase, sprayed with Line-X or Waxoyl or an equivalent!

9. jonheld

jonheld

^^^
    Yep. What he said.
    I flew out to Phoenix to see the truck in person before purchasing it and I drove it back to Jersey. It was a great road trip and well worth my time.
    My brother recently picked up a 2011 LX570 from the same area and it looked showroom new underneath.

Mike Dagostino likes this.
  10. Heckraiser

Heckraiser

Get a 4runner!

11. jonheld

jonheld

I use Fluid Film every October. Spray everything from tip to tail. It's my daily driver and she's still rust free.

M1C4H, RFB and Tedward like this.
  12. Mike Dagostino

Mike Dagostino

Had not heard of that before but looks interesting. What does that run you, may I ask?

13. Mike Dagostino

Mike Dagostino

Had not heard of that before but looks interesting. What does that run you, may I ask?

14. CYKBC

CYKBC SILVER Star

If one has an internet service subscription and PC with enough leisure in life to begin to think about owning a gas guzzling two decades+ old truck, one can afford to purchase a rust-free 80.

smoltz and Mike Dagostino like this.
  15. z531519

z531519

I live in MN so i know something about what rusty vehicles look like ;)

The rust doesn't look fatal, by that i mean you can poke a hole thru the frame then i'd stay away from that. This one do show a bit more rust than i would care for considering that the front of the truck has lots of surface rust. Normally, you'd see the rust at the back of the truck where the salt tends to accumulate. This one showing rust at the front means the PO has never bothered washing underneath the truck. Check out the bushings as well, they're dry rotten.

Also the 80 frames seem pretty good with rust resistance, I haven't seen one yet that i'd worry about driving. For the right price, and if you have the time and good eye-protection glasses, and understand what you are dealing with then that truck is good.

If you expecting to bring it to show quality, then get a truck from rust-free territory. Fly and drive it back home too :)

16. jonheld

jonheld

It's about $50/gallon. I use a paint sprayer and my compressor. It takes around 2 hours from set up to clean up in my driveway.

17. slow95z

slow95z Always parting 80s GOLD Star

Media:
    unlocked and rusty. how is the inside and how many miles? thats a 2 to 3K truck to me.

smoltz, 1911garand and Mike Dagostino like this.
  18. Mike Dagostino

Mike Dagostino

This is incredibly helpful -- thank you!

19. Proven

Proven Scotchy Scotch Scotch

Albums:
    I've fought rust before but not on a toyota. I'd never invest in anything that was covered in it because of the reasons mentioned above. The biggest issue was that every fastener was a bastard to deal with.

20. Mike Dagostino

Mike Dagostino

immaculate otherwise and mechanically is in great shape (although I note bushing issue identified above). It really is the rust that is holding me up. 160K miles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.