Need some advice. Can I replace OME J springs in front only with slinky 75mm heavy duty and Icon 2.5 adjustable shocks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been running the J springs for over 15 years with the L shocks and then 2 sets of Fox 2.0s. That combo works great in the rear but the front setup is trashed. Rear tires are OK but the fronts are trashed. The Fox 2.0s has caused major cupping or scalloping. They can't take the heat of washboard roads.

Love the slinky heavy duty stage 4 kit but budget can't afford the $4295.

Thinking about going with the slinky 75mm heavy duty front springs (SC70814FSLT Toyota 80 Series Heavy Duty Slinky 75mm Front dual rate coil [pr])
and the Icon 2.5 adjustable (91-97 LAND CRUISER 80 0-3" FRONT 2.5 VS RR CDCV PAIR). I am also looking at the blackstone control arms with new bushings or the deltas if they ever get back in stock. Will also replace all the other bushings. Springs are $395, shocks on sale for $1160, and control arms $1195 for a total of $2750.

The rig is heavy with a binks front bumper and winch, Dallas Fab rear bumper with spare, Binks sliders, belly armor, a 250 lb bush company RTT, and assorted gear and tools.

Plan to address the rear suspension when the fox 2.0s bite the dust.

Is the setup feasible? Should I consider the Icon 4" to 6" heavy duty shocks? Or should I keep the OME Js and just get shocks that match the Js better than the Fox 2.0s. If 4oxusa.com sold a front only heavy duty kit that would perfect with the slinky tuned shocks.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

I have OME J 850 (F) + 10mm spacer, OME 863 (R) and replaced OME shocks with SLEE 2.5 shocks last year. Works great. Very impressed with the quality, performance and fit of the Slee shocks.
I will likely switch to Dobinson coils at a later time to get a dual or variable rate to achieve further performance as well.
I wouldn't hesitate to get the Slee shocks again.

Those springs with a 4”-6” lift shock should work really well. I hear good things about the slinky tuned icons. But I don’t hear good thinks about icons seal quality or seal design, some people have good luck, some people don’t. If you’re ok with higher performance but a lower service life than it’ll be a good set up.

With the Slinky front springs, I’ve found them to be too stiff for rock crawling, but good on the road and high speed offroad trails. If I was was going to replace them, I’d be looking at softer Dobinsons springs for increased articulation. Also, my Slinky springs are starting to rust after a couple years, although I live on the coast where everything rusts.

I blew a seal on one of the Icon tuned Slinky front shocks. Icon rebuilt it free of charge since it was less than a year from purchase. Good customer service at Icon.

The Blackhawk radius arms have held up so far, but I broke a Blackhawk rear 30mm swaybar into 3 pieces in Moab recently. The metal they used looks like pot metal. I’d lean toward Delta radius arms too avoid the cheap metal used at Blackhawk.

70525568798__79D3EC5E-E0A3-4331-A9A1-01772CAF13BE.jpeg

70525567445__456461BB-840B-48BA-9C1E-93B6928F770D.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys

After doing some more research I have ordered the Delta control arms with new bushings. Going to stick with the J springs for now to save some $. Will upgrade the springs later.

Going to go back to the original nitrocharger OME shocks for simplicity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom