Need some Advice Advics or Power Stop on Stock Rotors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

I wanted to know if someone had any suggestions or advice regarding installing rear brake pads I was looking into Power Stop Z 23 vs Z 36 or ADVICS AD0773. Any suggestions on how they perform on stock rotors and do they cause warpage. Also is Z 36 worth the upgrade over Z 23 I do not tow or do trails with the rig. Are the Advics less abrasive on the rotors than the Power Stops. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2002 Landcruiser 207,000 Miles)

If you have OEM rotors, I can strongly recommend OEM pads. The rotor and pad material are very well matched.

Our brakes get pretty hot on passes here and I can only verify that OEM rotors hold up very well. Not direct answers to your questions, but might be helpful for context.

If you have OEM rotors, I can strongly recommend OEM pads. The rotor and pad material are very well matched.

Our brakes get pretty hot on passes here and I can only verify that OEM rotors hold up very well. Not direct answers to your questions, but might be helpful for context.

I've been wondering if I'd get more performance out of something like Powerstops or DBA up there. I'm clocking in around 7700lbs and tow a 1400lb trailer. I never ride the brakes, but use engine braking to manage speeds. I've been on OEM for years now and looking at options that might provide better performance.

I would do the advics or oem. I like the advics because like the oem they didn’t shave any of the surface area. Maximal surface area = maximal stopping power.

I got a discount on the Z36 Powerstops at Rockauto, I bought those to fit with the OEM rotors. Will be updating on how they hold up. But I appreciate the advice. I was initially rooting for OEM pads but then I found out that they don't come with the shims and they were~ $40 in addition to the ~$55 for the pads at Mcgeorge Toyota parts online.

I've been wondering if I'd get more performance out of something like Powerstops or DBA up there. I'm clocking in around 7700lbs and tow a 1400lb trailer. I never ride the brakes, but use engine braking to manage speeds. I've been on OEM for years now and looking at options that might provide better performance.

I think you should look into something like the Z36 Powerstops but more experienced users can advice on the matter.

I ordered the Powerstop rotor and pad kit a couple of days ago. I've always had enough brake to stop my 'light' cruiser, but I am hopeful the Powerstops provide more initial bite. Plus I need new rotors and it's time to repack the bearings 👍

I ran Powerstops on my first gen Tundra and was unimpressed. I think the rotors warped in under six months. The pads produced a lot of dust and noise, they did not feel smooth. I went back to OEM on that vehicle too. The only time I've ever been nervous about braking ability was with aftermarket pads and rotors.

It's my opinion that drilled or slotted rotors provide little performance benefits outside of track applications. Their ability to cool faster than a solid rotor is a detriment as it is quite literally that rapid heat cycling that leads to warping and or cracking. Even more so when water/snow is added to the mix. I haven't validated this but I've always wondered the effects of fine mud/sand caking in drilled and slotted rotors from water crossings too.

If I'm towing, there are always dozens of semis going slower than me both climbing and descending. I typically duck in behind one on the descents and in front of one on the climbs. If they aren't overheating their brakes on a descent or pushing the motor too hard on a climb, I'm sure not going to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom