Need some advice about Montero Gen1 purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am currently looking for an 87-89 3 Drs montero or dodge raider, but I did not have so much luck seeing a good one, last week there is a good 85 Montero 3 dr 2.6 manual pop up in my area, so I have some questions below:

1. Is there any big difference between 85 Montero and 87-89 montero/raider? or to say could I buy some 87-89dodge raider parts for an 85 montero repairment?
2. If you were me, what will be the point for you to make the deal? you know 85 is 4yrs older, but for these 40 yrs trucks, what will be important? condition or age?
3. Is it reasonable/possible to use this kind of 40 yrs truck as a daily driver? I have this question because these are good-looking truck to me, but I never saw one running on the road.

Thank you so much!

Had one that I bought new in 85. 5 sp manual with the 2.6 4cyl. Went ok, did a bit of offroad in it and was fine for what it was. I certainly would not be interested in buying a 40yr old one. Was never very popular so parts are going to be interesting to source. Not like you'll find a bunch of used parts for them at a bone yard...

Seems like a better choice would be something more 'common'. As a daily driver, I would seriously question that decision. In California, I'd want to be sure it was easy to smog.

cheers,
george.

Had one that I bought new in 85. 5 sp manual with the 2.6 4cyl. Went ok, did a bit of offroad in it and was fine for what it was. I certainly would not be interested in buying a 40yr old one. Was never very popular so parts are going to be interesting to source. Not like you'll find a bunch of used parts for them at a bone yard...

Seems like a better choice would be something more 'common'. As a daily driver, I would seriously question that decision. In California, I'd want to be sure it was easy to smog.

cheers,
george.
Thanks for the reply, I think I got some very good points from your reply to beat the price they try to set up. If the 85 only has 110k and the 89 has 200k, which one should buy?

The one that was/is maintained :) If both maintained, then the 110k one would be less 'worn out'.

Good luck... (you may need it :cautious:)

cheers,
george.

The one that was/is maintained :) If both maintained, then the 110k one would be less 'worn out'.

Good luck... (you may need it :cautious:)

cheers,
george.
Thanks, I just hope the 85 to 89 montero should be the same, then I can use some Dodge raider (87 to 89 montero)parts, please correct me if I am wrong.

And yes, the smog will be a big problem, that is the reason I might choose the 85 one, it all stock and just passed the smog (then the worst case would be I swap these original things back every two years for smog....), most other choices already installed weber carb which impossible to pass smog...

Thanks, I just hope the 85 to 89 montero should be the same, then I can use some Dodge raider (87 to 89 montero)parts, please correct me if I am wrong.

And yes, the smog will be a big problem, that is the reason I might choose the 85 one, it all stock and just passed the smog (then the worst case would be I swap these original things back every two years for smog....), most other choices already installed weber carb which impossible to pass smog...
A friend of mine recently gave away one of these Monteros because the engine died. Parts are very difficult to come by.
Another guy I know had a Raider many years ago. It was an OK buggy, nothing to brag about. AFAIK, Raider and Montero are identical rigs.

My advice-forget this model and buy a (horrors) Jeep!

A friend of mine recently gave away one of these Monteros because the engine died. Parts are very difficult to come by.
Another guy I know had a Raider many years ago. It was an OK buggy, nothing to brag about. AFAIK, Raider and Montero are identical rigs.

My advice-forget this model and buy a (horrors) Jeep!
I think you just provide a good explanation about why it is rare to see one running on the road. I just purely like the looking of those trucks...but based on all the comments I got so far, it is a little crazy to buy one 36 yrs old truck. Thanks for your comments.

I think you just provide a good explanation about why it is rare to see one running on the road. I just purely like the looking of those trucks...but based on all the comments I got so far, it is a little crazy to buy one 36 yrs old truck. Thanks for your comments.
Thanks. I like the looks of them too. Something like the poor man's 70 series LC. Carbureted engine and IFS front are not so appealing though.

Thanks. I like the looks of them too. Something like the poor man's 70 series LC. Carbureted engine and IFS front are not so appealing though.
How about just using it as a weekend car, like less than 1000 miles per year? I am sure I will not use it for off-roading, I have LC100

The 85-88 are virtually identical, in terms of engine, susp, etc: 2.6 L inline 4 with mikuni feedback carb, rear leafs, front torsion bars.

They are an extremely stout and underrated platform. Ironic to call them the poor man's 70 series, since they came out a year before the 70. They were ahead of their time, being one of the first ifs 4x4 wagons.

Montero/Raider/Shogun are all badge variations on the same truck.

Parts avail is def getting to be an issue though, as said above. The best of this platform in my opinion is the 89-91 which switched to rear coils and the 3.0L V6 fuel injected engine.

There is a Facebook group (yeah I know) of whick I am an admin that has thousands of members that wheel these things regularly. Pm me if you'd like a link. For the record I hate FB too...

Outside north america they have a well earned reputation of durability and reliability, just like our land cruisers do.

The most important factor when buying is How well it was maintained, as someone said above.

I've had 9 of these across three generations over the last 25 years, so you could say I'm a fan? 😂

Also, I guess I would be neglecting its heritage if I didn't mention the Dakar Rally? Mitsu has won more Dakars in its class than any other manufacturer, in both stock and modded vehicles... This should be a pretty good indicator of how tough it is.

Not stock crawler without spending some money, but a desert runner right out of the box.

Bonus... Can fit 33 inch tires with no lift necessary...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom