need small engine diagnostic... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You really need to take a picture of the carburetor and the area you are having problems with.

of the wetted area, you mean?

Yes, where are you leaking fuel?

well, hard to tell, even though I had a close look. The lower main gasket (covering the fuel pump area) edge is wet, but then it's also apparently wet a bit above that, towards the back (where the throat opening is). I don't think it is coming from the fuel line or inlet nipple. It could be excess fuel dripping from the throat (although I don't see much excess there) down towards the bottom, thereby wetting the gasket area. Then again, I tightened the screw holding the fuel pump area cover a bit more and that seemed to have slowed down the leak a bit (although not eliminated it). That's encouraging but I don't see how a leak there would wet things above that seam...

May just replace the gasket anyway (as well as the other ones and the metering needle) and see.

Okay, got back into it, after about a year...

I changed the gaskets, flapper sheet, metering needle etc with new ones from a kit.
It started and ran fine but I was seeing a bit of leakage still. I could tell it's coming from between the carb body and the blue stiff plastic flapper sheet. Tightened the lid all the way up still leaking but less.
Then polished the carb body, put it back on and tightened hard. Still wetness. Not dripping by any means but I can see a very thin film of gas seeping up (and climbing up actually on the carb body from that area.

So that got me wondering. Is it possible that there should be a gasket between teh blue plastic flapper sheet and the carb? Right now they are in direct contact. Looked up in a service manual, and lo and behold they show 3 layers between carb body and lid there. I only had/have 2 on mine. Then again, in a photo in the service manual they show only 2.

So, question: Is the blue plastic flapper sheet supposed to be in direct contact with the carb body?

Enclosing 2 pics: one fuzzy one showing the plastic sheet and the carb body that it's sitting on. Other showing all that's left of my rebuild kit. I don't think any of these fit OK on top of the blue plastic sheet.

oh, and if you're thinking that I'm paranoid about the leak, well..... yes, I am! we have 1 or 2 fires a year around here and it's a big deal. I'd rather not start one with gas dripping on my exhaust... that would be uncool.... (!)

carb is a WA199.

added: well, at least I got it to work. No major dripping. Put 5 hrs on it in the yard today...
IMG_2802.jpg
IMG_2803.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom