need slave cylinder help...asap..please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
installed new slave cylinder on 73 fj55..76 set up...added fluid...bled....got pedal back all seemed fine...depressed clutch pedal..shifted into gear..clutch pedal still depressed for a few maybe 5 to 10 seconds and transmission engaged.....what the heck! :eek: ...more bleeding needed?...thanks in advance for any help

osagecruiser

Marc, did you install a new master at the same time? They tend to take a dump at the same time. Might be bleeding back into the master. Checked for leaks at the firewall?

Sorry!

Ed

EDIT: Dayum Rob.....I'm too slow!

rob

how can i check the master cylinder..or is there a way to check it?..thanks man

osagecruiser

ed

no leaks at the firewall.....i do hear a hiss at the time it engages into gear with the clutch pedal depressed.

osagecruiser

osagecruiser said:
ed

no leaks at the firewall.....i do hear a hiss at the time it engages into gear with the clutch pedal depressed.

osagecruiser

A hiss and no leaks might be air. The system will almost gravity bleed. Might try to bleed it some more. Most everyone replaces both master and slave at the same time, though. Why did you replace the slave?

How 'bout them 'Hawks!

Ed

ed

what do you mean by the system will gravity bleed...i have worn about everybody out around my house pumping the pedal....i replaced the slave because i lost the pedal...added fluid pumped it up and it was puking fluid from the slave cylinder...

hawks are good...buckeyes are better!

osagecruiser

I don't mean to go remedial on you, but did you attach a hose to the bleed fitting on the slave and put the hose in a container of brake fluid so it can't suck any air back in? You said you had enlisted "family" help, so that's why I ask.
I also tried a return spring on my slave as I thought that's what they needed, but my spring was too tight and pushed too much fluid back into the master so I took it off.
Gravity bleed...well the whole system is vertical, so the air tends to go up to the master.

GL

Ed

ed

remedial is where i am at on this deal...no i did not use a small tube iin a container..ie bleeding brakes?...but i am on my way out the door to give that a try..i read lots of posts on here and did not pick up on the need to bleed the same as brakes.... :doh: ...i will report back

osagecruiser

BTW, forgot your J-Cock was on a BB. Not a FB!

Ed

ed

went out and bleed using the tube and jar...no air bubbles..when the clutch pedal is depressed and held the cylinder pushes out or back the fork? as the clutch pedal is held in the cylinder slowly fades to the original postion...like the pedal was not depressed...did i explain that clear enough...its like fluid is escaping somewhere....

osagecruiser

It's likely the master....sorry.

Ed

ed

oh well.....at least i know the next part to buy...not like its a whole lot of money..i was hoping to have it back on the road tonight...well i will order new part in the am...will the master be difficult to replace?...anything i should watch out for while replacing it?

the jayhawk baseball thing is my son...he attends all camps and clinics and coach price just loves him...left handed pitcher..switch hitter..he is determined to play baseball there...i am determined he will play baseball for whoever offers up the best deal and of coarse has the academic area he will be pursuing...orthopedic surgen

thanks for the help!

osagecruiser

Sounds like he is "on track". Good on ya'. Oh and son, too!

Ed

Nope, replacing the master is so simple....I did it! Some adjustments on pushrod into the master and freeplay at the slave and you will be good.

ed

back to the remedial conversation....freeplay on the slave?...enlighten me

thanks osagecruiser

osagecruiser said:
ed

went out and bleed using the tube and jar...no air bubbles..when the clutch pedal is depressed and held the cylinder pushes out or back the fork? as the clutch pedal is held in the cylinder slowly fades to the original postion...like the pedal was not depressed...did i explain that clear enough...its like fluid is escaping somewhere....

osagecruiser

get someone to watch the fluid level in the reservior while this is happeneing - it should go up, indicating the master needs replacing.

try pumping... this got me by for a little while with a bad master

3 years and running on a replaced master with old slave...

osagecruiser said:
ed

back to the remedial conversation....freeplay on the slave?...enlighten me

thanks osagecruiser

There is supposed to be a space of about 3-5mm between the acorn nut on the end of the rod coming out of the slave and the clutch arm.

Ed

thanks all.....i will be replacing the master as soon as the new once arrives.

thanks
osagecruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom