Need shocks for my '96 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 96 FJ80 that I purchased new in 96. I need to replace the shocks, but don't want to break the bank. I want to get a good set of shocks. I take the cruiser off road, but nothing extreme. It has been above Creede Colorado numerous times (near the divide trail), Stoney pass (Colorado), all over northern new mexico's mountain trails. Those trails are rugged, but as I mentioned, they are not extreme. I'm looking for a good offroad shock that is descent on the road as well. Any suggestions? Also, I think I need a new stabilizer shock since my front end (steering) has some play in it. Does this sound like a stabilizer shock issue (not much play, but since I bought the truck new, I have noticed some play over the years)? Any suggestions on a good stabilizer shock?
Thanks and Happy New Year!

For stock or low lift 80s, the standard recommendation seems to be to go with the new OEMs (which are cheap from the dealer), or Bilsteins (available at autozone for a bit more $).

Why not get old man emu?

Who makes the OEM shock for Toyota?

For stock or low lift 80s, the standard recommendation seems to be to go with the new OEMs (which are cheap from the dealer), or Bilsteins (available at autozone for a bit more $).

I think a set of OEM shocks is around $100 from cruiserdan. You steering issue may be worn tie rod ends, as opposed to the "stabilizer shock".

CDan sold me a set of four Toyota shocks for $125 this summer. Big difference. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I then added the OME stock height springs. Better yet. If you don't want lift, this is a good combination. If you want lift, then a different setup.

As for the play in the steering, my experience doesn't support changing the stabilizer. I first replaced all the tie rod ends. That tightened things up noticably, but seemed there was still a little play. I then did the steering stabilizer. No noticable difference. I am guessing the next thing to try is to maybe adjust the steering box.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom