Need Saginaw Powersteering pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gus

SILVER Star
Threads
I did the mini-truck power steering conversion on my FJ40 a while ago, the Saginaw pump I had sitting around didn't work. Do any of you guys now which Saginaw pump I should be using and/or a part number. I'm using an 85 mini-truck power steering box, the cruiser is largely stock, if any of that info helps.

What do you mean by" it did not work"? did not bolt right up, did not produce flow when filled with oil and engine running, what?

There is not any reason why a saginaw pump would not work with a Toyota steering gear. I have installed a few of these set ups from Classic Cruisers, and they work fine.

If you know what the pump came off of, I would go and get another one from a parts store, or go raid the u-pull, and get one that is similar, and put it in there. It is not too hard to swap a pump from a reservoir, in the event that you go new, or need to because of the spot of the return port. Pay attention to the fitting on the backside of the pump that the pressure line attaches to. The later model pumps have the o-ring style, instead of the 45degree flair fitting.

Good luck!

-Steve

bad pump is one thing.....but the GM saginaw pump works perfect with "any" PS conversion...

Thanks for the advice guys, the pump that didn't work was really banged up and rusty, I don't know what GM vehicle it came from, a friend had it sitting around.

What type of fittings are on your pump? If they are both flare then you can get one off an 84 GM truck. There is a cutoff somewhere close to that, so check it before you leave. If you have the "chevy" o-ring style, any GM in the late 80's should work.

How about a Saginaw Gearbox? Suggestions for locating one of the approx. 3.5 turns lock to lock with the "76" stamped on the casing. 4 bolt w/ flare fittings.

Thanks,
Jim D

take the pump/can into your local autodroid store...then just start picking vehicle years to check with. Start in the 70's, like 77 fullsize chev 3/4 ton or something. You'll likely need the pump and res both.

The things to check are: pully shaft style, high pressure fitting line type, return line orientation, and the way the can will be orientated when mounting. I went thru like 10 diff vehicle choices before finding one I liked....pumps were all the same, but the can orientation and return line orientation varied quite a bit.

In procees of collecting the parts for a conversion and have the mini parts and sag parts--now to decide which.
Will pass on a tip I was given on the Sag pump to find. A Volvo -early to mid 70's- used a Sag pump and the fittings are much better located to go on a cruiser. Got one at the local U pull it for 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom