need real time help!!! transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i took out my front driveshaft to get it lengthened, and i noticed my t case out put flange (going to the front axle output) has some play when you pull on the flange horizontally, when i push from th bottom of the flange there is no movement, the seal is not leaking either, i just installed a part time kit if that helps, any advice? this is on a 96 lx help!

31 views and no one knows? no one has a front drive shaft out that they can go wiggle the output shaft to see??

Seems like there's been less Mudders on the forum than usual lately. When I took my front DS off awhile back I checked for play of the transfer case flange and got pretty much no play in any direction. Wait awhile you may get more responses by tomorrow.

I have noticed a little bit of play at both the front and rear outputs never worried about it and that was a long time ago.
How much play are we talking about?

Last edited:
thanks guyes for the replys, its not alot, its maybe 30-40 thousanths enough to feel, i dont have any on my rear out put, and if you had the t case out on a bench and you put your hand straight on the face on the out put flange, and you pulled and pushed thats where the play is, the bearing spins freely without nois, could this be caused by the part time kit?

Mine has the same. No up and down, but a little in and out. I know mine has been like this for over 20k miles with no problems. I was not able to find any spec on how much end play was acceptable in the FSM. But in my search, as others here have said, any up and down play would mean the front output shaft ball bearing is worn out. I figure until that seal starts leaking on mine, i won't worry about it. :hillbilly:

Jeebus man relax. You waited around three hours and expect a hand job and a solution to your question?

Look at your FSM for a cut away picture to figure it out for yourself, or, if you dont have a FSM, use the search function. The search phrase "transfer case pdf" lead me to this page:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...ansfer-case-into-part-time-transfer-case.html

Read that page and you will learn why there is a little bit of sliding on the output flange.

Real time help; pfft!

Jeebus man relax. You waited around three hours and expect a hand job and a solution to your question?

Look at your FSM for a cut away picture to figure it out for yourself, or, if you dont have a FSM, use the search function. The search phrase "transfer case pdf" lead me to this page:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...ansfer-case-into-part-time-transfer-case.html

Read that page and you will learn why there is a little bit of sliding on the output flange.

Real time help; pfft!

there is nothing wrong with a hand job!, lol i'm planning a wheeling trip for this weekend and i needed to get parts ordered if it needed them, thanks for all the useful replys!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom