need real time help on jt outfitters rdb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just got the package and go to put it on and it seems as though it is missing six spacers. I think that the banana looking spacers are for a 40 and it needs six almost washer looking spacers for the 60. And my package has none and it seems that the caliper is sitting too close. anyone have experience with the brackets and could let me know what size the spacer should be so i can make them at least if i cant get them before next weekend. Thanks all

Bryon

may i ask why you'd want to run RDBs on a 60? what are you going to do about a parking brake? what's wrong with the drum brakes?????

What is an RDB?

Google yielded: Rhythm Dhol Bass

Don't think thats what it is

Rear

Disc

Brakes

ugh

sorry about that never seen "RDB" on this forum before or anywhere for that matter

some things shouldn't be abbreviated

so no one has any useful info for me at all? Its mostly a trail rig i am running 40s and the drums need a total rebuild and i just hate drums. so no one at all has done the rear disk brake conversion? I didnt think this should be in the hardcore section but guess i should try there

thanks

Bryon

RDB on an FJ40 is a common upgrade. On a 60 series, not so much. Perhaps that's why you are not getting anyone posting who has done this. Also, as has been asked, the e-brake is an issue. The stock rear drum setup on a 60 series is pretty bullet proof, so most folks clean it up and run it. FWIW, you may also learn something about JTO by searching them in chat.

Best of luck to you!

:)

... I've only seen it in reference to going to a full floater, like from an 80.

(and I've NEVER seen your acronym)

Also, give it some time- we're slow to crawl out from under the rocks here in the wagon forum...

And I agree with you- discs often give a better pedal feel- but it's a LOT of work for something
intangible that doesn't give the average wagon pilot a noticable performance boost.
I think the bigger front calipers are probably higher up on the 'bang for the buck' list...

t

already did the 4runner swap as for the acronym they have to start somewhere dont they. im not worried about the pedal feel i just would like to get the brakes back swapped out master and all now doing new lines and all that and rear drums needed redone completely so since i hate drums its on with the disks. and welcome to the 21st century but dont all new cars run rear disks?

thanks

Bryon

already did the 4runner swap as for the acronym they have to start somewhere dont they. im not worried about the pedal feel i just would like to get the brakes back swapped out master and all now doing new lines and all that and rear drums needed redone completely so since i hate drums its on with the disks. and welcome to the 21st century but dont all new cars run rear disks?

thanks

Bryon

Actually no. Lots of cars still come with drums in the rear, for instance most Toyotas under $25k.

Georg nailed it above. The 60 series rear drums are excellent and I would not feel the absolute need to upgrade.

I am trying to remember, but I think the backing plate attaches to the 60 axle with 4 12mm bolts and the 40 series uses 6 8mm bolts. So if you have 6 of anything per side, you likely have the wrong kit. I have not seen a lot of kits for 60 series RDBs, but TSM either does, or used to.

I could see wanting rear discs if you're towing because they dissipate heat and have better stopping power; at slower speeds it seems rear drums have more clamping force when you want to stay stopped on the trail (ie about to roll down the trail!) and have a better e-brake.

I've researched this upgrade too and JTO's kit and contemplated it for a towing upgrade. That being said, as stated before do a search on JTO, it could very well be they sent you the wrong parts.

Rough guess

I HAVE NO EXPIERIENCE WITH RDB FROM JTO however i pulled up manafre website Man-A-Fre Advance Off-Road Solutions their pics show the spacers next to the bolts the bolt diam. is almost exactly the same height. (not proven but educated guess)i think it is a 12 mm bolt (17mm head) so 7/16 should be close enough that the caliper slide pins can handle the small variance:beer:

That being said, as stated before do a search on JTO, it could very well be they sent you the wrong parts.

If so, good luck with JTO getting the issue resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom