Need real time help..motor mount question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting a 78 2F from a model 40 into a 85 model 60. I know the ps engine mount is correct and believe the ds engine mount is correct, loaner was a 83? model 60.
The 60 had no brackets on the frame so I had to replace them. I believe the ds frame bracket is mounted where it should be but...when I put the ps bracket onto the frame where I believe it should be the ds mount was about an inch from settling onto the pad. I know the motor sits in with about an 11% slant toward the passenger side. I know the ps bracket goes back, Its being held in place to show the orientation of the bracket to the frame. Why is it so low? wrong ds mount? when the bracket is even with the top of the frame it is to high..i'm stumped and can't move on till I get it figured out..

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

OK, This is a may 85 model, I just found multiple pics of bare frames and all the 60's o0f this vintage show the top tab of the frame brackets being level with the top of the frame. So, what would be stopping my engine from settling onto the ds mount when the bracket on the ps is mounted correctly??

Ds engine mount is not the correct one if it’s from an 83

I just spent some time trying to dig one up...Cruiserparts says there all the same 80-87 for the 60. SOR says its part #040-02C and 80-87 all the same but it looks like this so....I don't know
1619554695275.png

I just spent some time trying to dig one up...Cruiserparts says there all the same 80-87 for the 60. SOR says its part #040-02C and 80-87 all the same but it looks like this so....I don't know
View attachment 2658388
That photo is 3FE mount with the alternator down low. Maybe I’m wrong, I have an 82 and my mount looked like the one you have. Maybe someone with an 85-87 could take a pic or measurement of theirs.

Thx very much. I actually talked with Classic Cruisers, very helpful, real good bunch , as well as SOR and Cruiserparts. I ordered a "1985 ds front mount" from Cruiserparts. Will have to see what I get?? The pic above looks exactly like the two I have on the bench so? we'll see.

Got to love classic cruisers, they know our rigs and always willing to help

Last edited:
Engine brackets seem to be all the same 1980 through 1987. There were some intermediate part number changes, but one supersedes to the next. Two RH engine brackets were offered for trucks with/without A/C compressor.

all the frame brackets seem to be the same 1980 through 1987.

In your first picture it looks like that frame bracket is tack welded to the frame. But it also looks like the engine bracket is not sitting flush with the motor mount and the top of the engine is leaning to the other side. On the other side, you are holding the frame bracket in your hand. What is holding up the engine? Do you know that the engine is at the correct angle from vertical?

Well I had the ds bracket tacvked in. I could tell from the old weld as well as the how the mount was oriented on the old frame section it came off of. The engine was down on that isolator and the ps was still sitting high. I was holding the ps bracket where it would have to be on the frame. Yes the motor is canted counter clockwise....don't know why. The frame is straight, the ds mount is where it should be?? I made sure and put the ps bracket where it should be on the frame and tacked it in. See the pics, the ds is still 1/2 to 3/4 inch from sitting down on the ds isolator?? and the motor still sits slanted just a bit??
Background on this is that the motor and mounts were gone, it was going to be a v8 swap. I rescued it, everything else is in nice shape...it did sit w/o an engine for awhile Years?? and before I put the motor in the tranny was clearly slanted to the left because of the ps of the tranny/transfer case being heavier on that side.
SO, What can hold the engine at that angle...except the tranny mount??

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Please need some input on this problem, The frame brackets are where they are supposed to be. The weight is on the motor mount insulators, I put a wooded block or shim on the ds so all the weight is not on the ps mount. What can hold the engine at a slant? Its not binding anywhere on the tunnel etc?
Before I put the engine in the tranny was hanging at a slant, unsupported except for the crossmember tranny support. Could that support be holding the engine at a slant now? Should I unbolt that rear isolator and see if the engine settles into the front motor mounts correctly?

I had some issues with my '78 FJ40's 2F the other day and couldn't get bolts into either front motor mount. I ended up lifting the engine an inch with a cherry picker and loosening the front mounts and pads. It all came together after that.

I would try to hoist the engine and/or engine/trans combo, and loosen every mount you can, and see if you can't cajole the engine and transmission into finding their way. If you can't, then some mount is mis-welded or bent. You may have to (or want to) kick or pry the engine/trans with a 3' bar and get it to move around and find its way.

Reactions: OSS
Guess I have no choice. I'll loosen the rear mount and see what happens on it. Thx for the help.

SO....I loosened the rear bolts and the front ps mount...manhandled the hell out of it and...voila!! it dropped down some, jacked and dropped numerous times and its all good... Thx for the inspiration everyone...

Reactions: OSS
Sweet - nice work and thanks for posting the resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom