Need real time clutch help in Pueblo on cross country trek (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dunbar

SILVER Star
Threads
Sorry for the Xpost with the 40's forum but the driver owns a FJ62 and is a great friend on the 3FE list.

Need help for a 3FE lister with clutch problems in a 78’ FJ40 on cross country trip from Austin TX to Kona HI. He is in Pueblo CO right now. When he was crossing Raton Pass the truck got tough to shift and he limped 100 miles into Pueblo. When he stopped he could not get it into any gear and found brake fluid sprayed onto the firewall area near the clutch master cylinder.

I thought it might be the slave cylinder out of adjustment but with the sprayage perhaps he has a crack in the reservoir or hard line going into the master. Any of you guys have an idea on what could be wrong? The truck is at the dealership waiting for them to open and I would guess that they have all the parts or one of the many NAPAs will. He was trying to make it to Steve C.’s (Overhanger on MUD) house in Denver before the gremlins attacked.

I will be running the internet effort and speaking with him via cell phone.

Thanks for the help.

Dunbar

Starting point would be to determine whether either the clutch or brake fluid resevoir is low on fluid? Knowing that will help to reduce the number of options.

Guessing though, since brake and clutch fluid are the same, I suspect the brake system is fine and the sprayed fluid is coming from the clutch master, lines or slave.

Assuming that the clutch resevoir is low...refill it, wipe everything clean, pump it a few times and look to see where the leak is coming from.

Hard to offer anymore guesses without knowing more...

You can drive w/out a clutch. Start with the starter, then shift by feel. Stop in neutral, shut off the engine, put it into gear to restart.

Good luck.

Thanks Doug.

I told him to clean it up or just line the area with newspaper and mash on the clutch to look for spray. I just do not want the dealer saying he needs a new clutch disk or pressure plate to steal money from him.

Dunbar

PM 2BadFJs - he's a parts guy at an Infinity dealer in south Denver. He drives a 60 & a 40.

Sprayage sounds like bad flex hose. Burt Toyota in Denver has a great inventory. Struble fluid power in south Denver/Englewood makes great hoses - ask for Ted (its a Ms.).

You'll need to bleed the system regardless.

I'll be at my shop by about 6:30 - call me there 303 688-0675.

Steve

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like our diagnosis was pretty good. Turns out the slave was shot and the master cracked up.

John Hocker came to the rescue and sourced the parts in a warehouse so
the Pueblo dealer could order them. Only aftermarket was available local and Kevin (Yoopers brother who is the new owner of the 40) prefers OEM, wonder where he gets that from?

Lee said the tow truck driver was very nice and helped him find a
motel after they dropped the 40 at the dealer. He also said that the
folks at the dealership were very helpful, if not quite as
knowledgable as Hocker. When they heard that Lee was driving a FJ40
to Hawaii they took up the challenge of getting him rolling again as
soon as possible. Quoted 2 hours for the labor which is not bad
considering the time to bleed the system etc.

He should be rolling after lunch tomorrow and be drinking beer and
swapping old man tales with Overhanger before rush hour in Denver.

Dunbar

Oh, and death to Bin Laden.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom