need quick clutch install help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm installing the short-throw Downey clutch on my Chevy V8/SM465 (original Toyota clutch slave cylinder) and noticed that the throwout bearing seats at an angle when the pedal is depressed. The reason is because the clutch fork doesn't fit the throwout bearing at the top/bottom centerline when at rest and the pedal not depressed. This can be seen in the first pic. The second pic shows the throwout bearing at an angle when the pedal is depressed.

So, my questions are:
1. Is the throwout bearing being at an angle when the pedal is depressed a problem? Seems like it should be because it would likely put more pressure on one side of the clutch disc than the other.
2. If it is a problem, then the possible solutions seem to be: a.) a wider throwout bearing, b.) maybe a longer ball mount that the clutch fork rides on to move the clutch fork back toward the clutch, or c.) a combination of both.

If question 1 is a yes, then what is the wisdom on question 2? Those in the know, please offer your comments.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mike

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

Well, now that I’ve got the transmission under the truck, I see that the throwout bearing rides on a larger diameter shaft than the clutch centering input shaft that I was using. So, now I see that it’s impossible for the throwout bearing to get off center, even if the clutch arm isn't aligned perfectly up and down.

Last edited:
^^correct^^, but I sure wonder what bellhousing you are using, the shift fork pivot ball seems to have the shift fork quite a bit off center on the T.O. bearing (meaning that shift fork is not a good match for that bellhousing ???

It’s an original GM truck cast iron bellhousing from the 50s-70s. The clutch fork is also from that era.

Your bearing will not be cocked on an angle once it is riding on the bearing retainer tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom