For Sale Need purchase advice asap please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm hoping a folks here can help me out asap as I'm considering buying this BJ40 tomorrow but I'm having some second thoughts. I'd like to know what you think. You don't have to read my whole post if you dont' want, you could look at the quick write up in this next paragraph and look at photos and share you thoughts. If you read the entire post you'll get a better idea of what I'm looking for. My basic question is this, is this truck worth the amount I'm looking to spend on it (listed for $18,500 but I'm getting it for a fair bit less than that). I'm asking for honest opinions based on what I'm paying. I'm not looking for someone to nit pick each and everythign about it. It's BJ40 that I acquire in the $10k to $20k range. It's not going to be perfect.

Quick write up

I'm considering buying this 1978 BJ40. It came from Costa Rica where it got a basic body restoration (about what you'd expect from a Costa Rican body restoration) then was shipped to California for a mechanical restoration then on to the current owner on the East Coast. The "restoration" happened 1.5 years ago. The owner doesn't know much about it, isn't a big enthusiast, just bought it on a whim and now doesn't have room to store it. It's overall in decent shape. The interior is extraordinary and done with full interior top lining, custom leather seats, etc. True mileage is unknown (5 digit OD). Everything works, needs nothing. Just had brakes all redone, stops on a dime. It's listed for $18,500 but I'm getting it for a fair bit less than that.

Why I'm concerned

It has three things that have come to light just today after I've been looking at and talking to the seller for a few weeks.

1) It starts hard in the very cold. If it's been sitting for some time then he tries to start it, it takes 2 or 3 tries with the starter turning for about 10 to 15 seconds each try
2) It smokes when it starts, not a tiny bit and it does go away after a couple of minutes of warming up but when it does start cold, it's sending out a decent cloud
3) The rust. It has a few spots of rust showing, they don't seem major to me but they aren't anything either
4) My main concern is the sound of the engine. I realize this is a diesel and this is an old engine but it seems to make quite a racket. Am I off on this? Here is the video

More details on me

1. I'm a risk taker, anyone buying a BJ/FJ is taking a risk unless you want to spend $75k for a frame off restoraiton HOWEVER, i'm more comfortable with risk than most. I do have money to fix things when they go wrong even worst case situations like an engine rebuild if necissary. You may say, "why not just spend $25k or $30k and get one with less risk". It's not a simple answer but let me answer it simply like this, my wife and I agreed this is what we want to spend (under $20k) and we'll deal with issues as they come up.

2. I am NOT a purist, let me repeat, I am NOT a purist. I don't care about original parts or US spec vs SA spec. I want something that looks good and runs ok.

3. I won't put many miles on this vehicle. It's a third car for us, I work from home too. It'll see 2500 to 5000 miles per year and I ONLY intend to keep it for a couple of years unless I fall in love. I'll look to sell it to someone like me, a non purist.

4. I'd rather not debate things like "should I get a diesel"? or "Is a BJ/FJ the right vehicle", etc. I've done a fair amount of reasearch. I'm def getting an FJ/BJ and prefer the diesel but not dogmatic about it, if I found a nice FJ I'd by that.

5. I don't lack for looking. I've been scouring Facebook, Craigslist, Offerup, IH8Mud and any and all other sources all over the country to find a vehicle.

Pics being posted in a minute

Last edited:
I would take a hard look at this one. Have a local cruiser guy look it over for you and budget $800 to ship it.
or better yet, fly out, drive it home, and document the journey.

I’ve seen 447xpro’s 40 and it is very nice and fair price. Definitely worth checking out.

I'm trying to reconcile the suggestions made to me vs what I was looking at. I had one that was in good shape overall, limited rust, outrageously nice interior, repainted, running well (perhaps an engine issue but it still ran well) for $16,500. The couple that have been suggested are $20k+ that have rust on body, poor interiors and overall in need of work? Why would that be better than the one I found for $16,500? I could refurbish the entire engine on that one for $5k which would leave me an amazing interior, nice exterior, and new engine. What am I missing here with these suggestions?

I talked to a regular member of this board (which was a suggestion given to me) and he lectured me that you can't get anything that runs and looks decent for under $30k, I have other responding here saying that the one I was looking at was worth $8k or less. Lots of conflicting information to process.

It’s your money and importantly time to do as you please. You’ve got some sound advice from very experienced land cruiser guys here. As swamp-thing said “you’re seeing a small part of the rust.... just give it a little while and you’ll see a lot more”. I’d re-read M1A1’s advice on checking the body related issues. Very few have owned and sold as many 40s as Overton and he said “RUN”. Again it’s your time and money.

I'm trying to reconcile the suggestions made to me vs what I was looking at. I had one that was in good shape overall, limited rust, outrageously nice interior, repainted, running well (perhaps an engine issue but it still ran well) for $16,500. The couple that have been suggested are $20k+ that have rust on body, poor interiors and overall in need of work? Why would that be better than the one I found for $16,500? I could refurbish the entire engine on that one for $5k which would leave me an amazing interior, nice exterior, and new engine. What am I missing here with these suggestions?

I talked to a regular member of this board (which was a suggestion given to me) and he lectured me that you can't get anything that runs and looks decent for under $30k, I have other responding here saying that the one I was looking at was worth $8k or less. Lots of conflicting information to process.
My suggestion (but who cares ) just buy only what you want and don't ask here anymore :) You already have your own opinion. Most member here, including myself, like to see classic mostly original US market FJ40. They are ready to spend more money on this and you not. Don't force yourself to anything what you don't like. Good luck on your decision.

Obviously you like the interior, buy it.

Buy it for $16.5k if it scratches your itch. You'll likely be very happy. Drive it and enjoy it. It will need maintenance/work just like any other 40 year old used vehicle.

The foresight that many are trying to share comes from costly experience and will likely not come to light until you try to sell it in a few years.

If you keep it garaged and don't drive it when it's raining nor when the roads have any moisture on them, the current state of rust/paint MAY not get much worse and you MAY be able to find someone of similar taste/budget and get your money back.

However, if you drive it where moisture can get to the paint/body or on trails where the body sees and movement, the paint will flake very quickly exposing the untreated rust underneath. This will leave you in position of trying to sell it as a "rust bucket" (which it may be already under the paint) for half what you paid or doing a restoration for double what you paid but only recouping a portion of the resto cost and none of the original purchase price.

If driving it for a few years and losing around 10k is tolerable, then it's perfectly fine. Most of the world loses that much when they drive a new car off the lot. The guys giving advise here are just trying to help you save 10k.

interiors are 200-500 dollar seat cover kits and knobs, spray paint, maybe a 300 dollar center console if one of the nice ones.

coming from first hand experience with rust similar to that one

to fix rust...welders are expensive as hell if you cant weld. several thousand in the blink of an eye. Good ones are not cheap and cheap ones are not good. it is a skill that is become more rare over time. I cant do it
paint jobs are 10 grand easy if you dont do yourself. I price shopped around. even cheap s***ty paint jobs are several grand but why spend money on something that will crumble away from rust in a few years under pretty paint if done cheaply

honestly 40 series are not that rare, even south american ones are common. I can find a dozen south american 40 series within 500 miles of myself forsale.

Good ones pop up forsale all the time Dont let your emotions get to you. for your price area you should end up with a nice one if you are patient. From my and others experience on here, the one you have posted I think you would have a hard time recouping 2/3s of your money after throwing more at it after buying.
Im not trying to be a dick, trying to warn you. but I honestly didnt listen to people about rust on here and after a few years my pocket book paid for it and I sold it for a loss after finding one I liked better.

I think any classic vehicle guy would say the same thing. RUN AWAY FROM RUST. you are only seeing the tip of the iceburg.

interiors are 200-500 dollar seat cover kits and knobs, spray paint, maybe a 300 dollar center console if one of the nice ones.

coming from first hand experience with rust similar to that one

to fix rust...welders are expensive as hell if you cant weld. several thousand in the blink of an eye. Good ones are not cheap and cheap ones are not good. it is a skill that is become more rare over time. I cant do it
paint jobs are 10 grand easy if you dont do yourself. I price shopped around. even cheap s***ty paint jobs are several grand but why spend money on something that will crumble away from rust in a few years under pretty paint if done cheaply

honestly 40 series are not that rare, even south american ones are common. I can find a dozen south american 40 series within 500 miles of myself forsale.

Good ones pop up forsale all the time Dont let your emotions get to you. for your price area you should end up with a nice one if you are patient. From my and others experience on here, the one you have posted I think you would have a hard time recouping 2/3s of your money after throwing more at it after buying.
Im not trying to be a dick, trying to warn you. but I honestly didnt listen to people about rust on here and after a few years my pocket book paid for it and I sold it for a loss after finding one I liked better.

I think any classic vehicle guy would say the same thing. RUN AWAY FROM RUST. you are only seeing the tip of the iceburg.

This, this and this.

Be patient, and here is what you can get for your budget (scroll down to previous auctions). Yes you will have to pay shipping, but you will not find a rust-free one in the NorthEast, IMO. You should also just set a 'watch alert' on MUD For Sale of 40 series page. Something good will come up , and buying from MUD member is generally reliable, they generally are not a scammer. Also, you need to get in touch with @overton because even though his website lists high dollar trucks, believe me, he comes across bird-dog deals in your price range which are A+.

Last edited:
i Decided I’d reply to this thread, so often on forums people ask questions then never reply with what they did. After months of searching for FJ40s and not finding what I wanted a deal I couldn’t turn down came up for a stunning defender 90 so I bought. It just arrived from Florida this week.
I know it’s not an FJ so I won’t likely be posting here but appreciate all the info and help you app shared with me during the buying process
E80A4DDF-6575-4E6D-A6E4-CB9FBB55111D.jpeg
508B3713-5071-4B89-ADCB-63BDB02ED13B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom