1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need pics of your ’67-‘71 brake pedals and Master Cylinders!

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by AndyM, Feb 25, 2007.

1. AndyM

AndyM

Need some help as I don’t know what I have or what it’s supposed to look like…

I’m trying to convert what I believe to be a ’71 FJ40 to power brakes (have been told the frame is like a ’67, so I have a bit of a frankenstein).

I removed the old master cylinder and have seen some pictures that make me wonder if the setup I removed was stock, or if it was somehow rigged up to work… I don’t know if this firewall is stock, or if it’s been modified to mount a booster as I’ve seen some firewall stiffening ribs that go straight up, but mine takes a dogleg to the driver’s side. This FJ has a 350 with an automatic, so I’m wondering if the mount for the master cylinder was actually where a clutch used to be?

In the first picture, you can see the firewall and where the MC used to be mounted. This spot is too close to the fender to mount the power booster that I got, and it seems to want to fit right up to the firewall in the hole that’s directly above the steering column. Is that where it’s supposed to go? And if so, then how to I make a pedal work under the dash? Do I need to find a used Brake pedal from somewhere, and how would it mount up under the dash? Seems like if I had a pedal that doglegged around the steering column it could work. Can anyone help me out here?!

I’d like to see some pictures of your FJ40s maybe taken looking up under the dash so I can see what your brake pedal looks like and how it’s mounted up underneath. If anyone has pics of their boosters mounted to the firewall, that would be MUCH appreciated as well.

Thanks guys. I’m stuck here and want to get this thing on the road so I can start enjoying the ride!

First picture is the firewall – the brake MC used to be mounted in the hole on the right. Is that where a clutch slave cylinder used to be mounted??

Second picture is looking under the dash. You can see the brake pedal on the left and the hole directly above the steering column that I’m hoping I can mount the new power brake booster to.

Third picture is looking up under the dash. I have no idea how a brake pedal would mount under there! Show me yours please!!!
    100_5338.jpg 100_5339.jpg 100_5342.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. AndyM

AndyM

c'mon guys.....surely out of everyone that has looked at this, someone knows SOMETHING.

I know just enough to really mess something up without a little advice.
    Anyone?

3. UNO_RACING

UNO_RACING

If you buy a star you'll get more attention. It's just the culture in this forum. Nevertheless here are a couple of pics for you. It appears that your firewall was modified to accomidate a larger booster.

I had my pedal assembally powder coated. Looks like your missing yours from your pics. Also, if you don't have one and need to get one, you are going to have to remove your steering column to get the pedal assembally in.

View attachment 123664

View attachment 123665

View attachment 123666

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  4. UNO_RACING

UNO_RACING

5. lc69hunter

lc69hunter SILVER Star

I don't have pics, but when I tried to install my 69 pedals/master cylinders onto the 72 tub, I had to use the 72 brake/clutch unit as opposed to the old 69 pedals.

Also, since I wanted to use the old 69 master cylinder setup (no booster), I had to build a plate to mount it on, as the hole in the firewall for the 72 was much larger.

From the pics, it looks like you have an old chassis/tub, based on the size of the brake master cylinder hole.

6. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  7. UNO_RACING

UNO_RACING

You're right its not OEM. It's a Corvette Master Cylinder. The holes are for the mounting are in the same place as stock. It appears that there was an aftermarket booster on the aformentioned truck. Almost looks like someone mollied out the stock location holes for a power brake set up.

8. handcannon

handcannon

AndyM

The pics and info you have gotten so far are great. However, seeing another 71 first hand might also be helpful. I'm just a little over an hour south of you, 2-3 miles south of the Santiam river, just off of I-5. If you find a firsthand look is needed PM me and we can set up some Sunday to meet.

My 71 is mostly stock. I have changed out the booster to one pulled from a 91 Cruiser and the master is for a late 80's 4Runner.