Need pics, ideas for a winch bumper - plate... not tube (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought the ARB would look too big but it actually fits just right. It looks really bulky on some other models. I was strongly considering the NWTI as well. Both I think have great style. I'll probably just make my own rear bumper.
1579199605985.png

That looks really good!

Looking at the '84 without any bumper, it's really stubby - just has a short/blunt frontend. I wonder if the ARB sort of balances that - it just works well with that frontend.

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 1.59.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 2.01.51 PM.png

I don't always vote ARB, but when I do it's on first gen 4Runners and their mini truck counterparts.

So has anyone ever cut the damage multiplier stuff off of an ARB?

I agree on not wanting/tolerating damage multipliers - those two-bolt brush guards that wrap under/around factory bumpers, running boards, tail light guards... But, I've never considered stout brush guards - securely attached (welded, bolted) to winch bumpers as damage multipliers. What am I missing? Is this a thing with ARB/IronMan/TJM, etc. bumpers?

Probably not, it's probably me just wanting something no one else does. As usual.

Probably not, it's probably me just wanting something no one else does. As usual.
Oh, I'm right there with you. Before Ben launched Dissent Offroad, I was looking into an ARB for my 100... and was going to remove the brush guard.

I saw a shaved (all bar work removed) ARB on the front of an 80 Series. It looked like a fat lip...like it stuck out too far and needed to be tucked.

The ARB guards are stout. If they get bent back into the body, the blow was going to wipe out the body if they weren't there.

I agree that the ARB is a good looking bumper on these Gen vehicles.

They just look too much like a 70's "Brush Guard" to me for their functionality to matter.

Arb is probably the best looking and functional bumper off the shelf.
Here's mine for another example of home made. Not a winch bumper. Sort of a tube/plate hybrid that can be modified. A friend of mine built this bumper before I bought the truck.
Maybe I'm biased but I like it. I think the stinger tube piece could be a little taller.
20191203_170147.jpg

@Jeremy9A that looks great.
Love that license plate too! I registered my Pickup Monday of last week. I asked if "PICKUP" was available... it was.

This might be the funniest thing ever written on ‘Mud. If the top bars of an ARB ever get bent back to the point they touch the body of your vehicle, you’re likely dead from the impact.

I don't know about that. The bumper that I built in my pic above somewhere took an offset head-on hit from a wannaB Class 5 Open (tube chassis Baja Bug) driven by an idiot who thought he was in the Baja 1000 when he really was in an OHV area near Barstool, KA. That hit moved it around quite a bit. If my bumper had had those features on it I don't know that they would have made body contact, but it would have been close. It took some serious pulling to get everything back to close to straight, but it never was straight again.

The reason I wanted the ARB was also for deer protection. There is a stretch of my commute that has deer carcass every week it seems. I've dodged a few but for any that get hit I'd rather the bumper take the blow as much as possible. If they hit the windshield then no style bumper will matter and deer tend to jump across the road so that's always likely.

The bumper was only part of the bent parts. The front of the frame was the rest of it.

My ARB has saved me from a couple of insurance claims, and adds security for deer strikes. Won't work for moose, but would save the truck in numerous situations. Anything that would seriously damage the bull bar would probably mean the end of the truck, with or without the bar. It's also excellent as a flat surface for tools, beers, etc.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the benefit of a place to put your beers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom