Need opinions on this Flywheel please: Or have 1 for sale? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Called Napa...they will pick up/machine/drop off for $40. Lol

Make sure they understand the stepped flywheel design (they should), heard on occasion where some won’t or can’t handle the step design.

Also, I doubt that rusty spare you have is bad, probably just surface rust that will clean right off. FWs are thick heavy metal, I just had the same rusty Toyota FW machined a couple weeks ago, looks brand new.

Make sure they understand the stepped flywheel design (they should), heard on occasion where some won’t or can’t handle the step design.

Also, I doubt that rusty spare you have is bad, probably just surface rust that will clean right off. FWs are thick heavy metal, I just had the same rusty Toyota FW machined a couple weeks ago, looks brand new.
They actually charge 35 for flat and 40 for stepped...so, guessing they know. Any idea what actual specs are?

These are the only spec's I could find in the Toyota Service manuals. First is from the 2F engine, and the 2nd is from the 84-90 Chassis & Body manual. Not sure why the difference.

1614957479031.png

1614957568260.png

I guess at the extreme, you’ve passed the minimum thickness of the flywheel when the clutch disc contacts the flywheel bolts.

This could be measured with the used clutch disc and the flywheel still on the truck.

To be clear, the flywheel would have been resurfaced a lot of times for it to get thin enough for the disc to hit the bolts.

I may need schooled on this, but if the FW appears in good shape, why not just scuff the surface with some emery cloth and call it good until the engine is rebuilt? This is a heavy FW on a low RPM motor. I'm asking to be set straight.

I may need schooled on this, but if the FW appears in good shape, why not just scuff the surface with some emery cloth and call it good until the engine is rebuilt? This is a heavy FW on a low RPM motor. I'm asking to be set straight.
exactly what I was wondering...

That other 10-20% would be ring gear chewed up, bad driving habits on an old engine, or bad luck?
Usually poor driving which means lots of clutch slippage, leading to severely burned FW friction surface.

So much for that....knew that Flywheel was too good to be true. Smart enough to use PP credit tho!!!

Screenshot_20210314-182536.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom