Need opinions on this Flywheel please: Or have 1 for sale? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not that im aware of off hand...im sure I could find 1.

"problem is whne the flywheel gets thinnerit affects the clutch pedal travel. Sometimes the clutch wont disengager when the flywheel gets thinner" is his stated concern

Ok, possible the FW may be out of spec. Maybe mechanic measured it. (that would be a first ;) )

If that one you found is legit, it's a good price. These beasts are heavy and expensive to ship. The rusty one I wouldn't touch. Plus that ebay seller has a few negative feedbacks.

However, if it's possible for you to take your existing one to a MACHINIST who knows these things, and take the relevant pages of the FSM with you, it won't cost you anything to have it checked. Otherwise, count on around $300 to have a good, machined one shipped to your door.

Ok, possible the FW may be out of spec. Maybe mechanic measured it. (that would be a first ;) )

If that one you found is legit, it's a good price. These beasts are heavy and expensive to ship. The rusty one I wouldn't touch. Plus that ebay seller has a few negative feedbacks.

However, if it's possible for you to take your existing one to a MACHINIST who knows these things, and take the relevant pages of the FSM with you, it won't cost you anything to have it checked. Otherwise, count on around $300 to have a good, machined one shipped to your door.
I just think he wanted to keep everything "in house" This shop is "only doing the job bc its you" the owner told me today. "not a job we would do". He trusts me to get the parts he needs to get the job done and knows I get/want best quality parts which is prlly why hes gnna do it. And they a lil slow atm. I amy wind up havn Mcquire do the job anyway...kinda hoping TBH. hvnt rcvd a response.

ohhh + nthns been specd...as my rig is still complete. I just think hes worried or made up the concern to keep eveything inhouse. Told him id pay travel time and buy pizza tho lol

Ok, makes more sense. The shop is just trying to get everything lined up and avoid any roadblocks, like a bad FW, that might keep the truck on the lift for a couple days. Prolly a small shop?

Well, you're either gonna have to gulp and spend, or ask the shop if you can pick up the FW as soon as it's available and get it surfaced and back to them quickly. I will tell you the guy who built my motor (MAF) said mine had too many heat cracks, but I had it machined and it looked great and It's still going 10 years later.

Maybe ask in the WANTED section?

Ok, makes more sense. The shop is just trying to get everything lined up and avoid any roadblocks, like a bad FW, that might keep the truck on the lift for a couple days. Prolly a small shop?

Well, you're either gonna have to gulp and spend, or ask the shop if you can pick up the FW as soon as it's available and get it surfaced and back to them quickly. I will tell you the guy who built my motor (MAF) said mine had too many heat cracks, but I had it machined and it looked great and It's still going 10 years later.

The FW is at a shop. Personally I’d ask the mechanic to measure it and compare to specs.... and then machine it. He’s being paid for his service. Just do it.

yes...thats the best way to state it. Its a smaller shop with 1 lift ...and dont wanna tie it up...correct. Im hoping the 1 ordered is legit...but it honestly feels scammy. I have a way of finding such "deals" lol Was only $97 and I can get reimbursed ny PP so...whatever...i ordered it. I posted a "wanted" in classifieds...Got a response...not cheap. so..im still looking.

The FW is at a shop. Personally I’d ask the mechanic to measure it and compare to specs.... and then machine it. He’s being paid for his service. Just do it.
the FW is in my rig at my cabin...not at the shop.

the FW is in my rig at my cabin...not at the shop.
So then get it machined on your own time. If he hasn’t even paid his eyes on it why are you going by his word?

rig is in CO? what area? 2 local auto parts houses in my area of MT surface flywheels and they run around and pick up and drop off, and it is done in a few hours to half a day. that gives the shop time to change the rear main and anything else before re-assembly.
I understand the shop doesn't want to do it this way, and really doesn't do this kind of work, so you pay more. is there another shop close by?

x2 on shipping is crazy right now, maybe half of that $97 price is shipping?

Another option would be to call up one of the bigger cruiser shops or cruiser scrapyards and get a used one that you can have machined and ready to go before your mechanic even starts on your truck. Then when your truck is done you can just sell your old flywheel to the next guy that is in your position.

With everybody swapping their engines for LS's these days, there are plenty of used parts out there...

Hopefully the one you ordered works out well though, that would definitely be the simplest option.

rig is in CO? what area? 2 local auto parts houses in my area of MT surface flywheels and they run around and pick up and drop off, and it is done in a few hours to half a day. that gives the shop time to change the rear main and anything else before re-assembly.
I understand the shop doesn't want to do it this way, and really doesn't do this kind of work, so you pay more. is there another shop close by?

x2 on shipping is crazy right now, maybe half of that $97 price is shipping?
ohhh ill look into this as an option....ty. what exactly are "parts houses"?

Another option would be to call up one of the bigger cruiser shops or cruiser scrapyards and get a used one that you can have machined and ready to go before your mechanic even starts on your truck. Then when your truck is done you can just sell your old flywheel to the next guy that is in your position.

With everybody swapping their engines for LS's these days, there are plenty of used parts out there...

Hopefully the one you ordered works out well though, that would definitely be the simplest option.
kinda what i was thinking and what i searched for...but not as many available as you would think

thats helpful...thanks

I’m always disappointed when a tech feeds someone a line of bs. Your quoted statement from the mechanic is bs.

If the truck is still together I doubt thicknesses or runout is a factor in this instance - unless it was pulled apart measured and put back together??

When resurfaced properly there is no change in clamping force between the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel.

The 2f uses a stepped flywheel. That means the clutch surface and pressure plate surface are not common. When you resurface a stepped flywheel you need to cut both surfaces to maintain the step. In my notes I have written .020-.025 as the spec range on the step (you should verify this number).

I would measure your $97 special to make sure this checks out.

I had mine resurface @ around $50 from NAPA a couple years ago. The machinist said that the FW was in really good shape and should go a long time. This after almost 300k miles on it. This leads me to believe these FW are very stout and can last. So unless you have a million miles on yours or it's been resurfaced a couple times already ...I'm guessing it will measure within specs.

More likely your mechanic has run into problems in the past by not changing out a worn FW and it came back to bite him in the ass.

@WSOPgold2012 Unless you've got it all sorted, call CTS in Conifer. Joe's got a TON of parts. I'd be shocked if he didn't have a FW in good shape that he'd resurface for you and you'd be able to pick it up right in your backyard when you're back in town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom