need opinion's on this 77' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
here is the link http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/667940936.html . I have talked to the owner and he says there'y isn't any rust. the rear diamond plates look discouraging so i'll check that area more but everything else looks clean. the asking price is high. the truck has 180k on the clock. he says it runs fine and is inspected and tagged. rear jump seats in great shape as well as the front seats. tuffy console and 5 32x11.5 bfg's. this going to be a daily driver so this needs to be a good one. thoughts? things to look at?

jason

$8500 seems a little steep to me... check the usual spots for rust and look closely, however the $$$ amount would be a deal killer for me. keep searching, you will find a cleaner one for that kind of cash ... ;)

$8500 seems a little steep to me... the $$$ amount would be a deal killer for me.

x2 The diamond plate would be the deal killer to me. It probably needs brakes and a knuckle rebuild too. Take it to your own mechanic or at least take the wheels off and inspect yourself before you shell out that kind of $$.

:hmm: It's tuff to tell much from those small pics.

Mmmm...Could go either way. It's a bit pricy from the looks, but if it's really rust free, complete, and runs good, a piant job would give you a really nice rig. I don't like the long shackle lift and angle or the blacked out dash.And yeah, x3 on the diamond plate.

but i got this guy down to $5500 for the rig. Sooo now what do ya'll think?

If you can, take a look under all of the mats and at the seams inside. Look for leaks under it, check out the fluids and drive it! Look for non-chattering, good clutch action, quiet transmission and a smooth running engine. Even stick you finger inside the tailpipe and rub/smell it to see if you get an oily residue or a sweet smell. You know, the basics. Good luck! :D

i don't what you know about 40's

compression check the engine and make sure the frame is solid, even try to pook holes in it with a screwdriver.
shiney paint is expensive, but shiney paint doesn't make a good car. and don't bring more than $5000... blame it on your wife
also i would put in 4wd cut the steering wheel hard over, both ways...listen for knocks clunks and grinding.
also crawl under the truck, grab the drive shafts at the u-joints and t-case( in neutral) and check for play.
also get someone to rock the steering wheel from side to side and check all the tie rod ends.
looks like it could be a nice truck.
you could check all the oils, that would tell you if it was maintained...
i'm sure someone else on here could make other suggestions.
eric

Anytime I see an add start out " Up for sale is a" ...I get a mental image of the professional EBay roach. You didn't really get him down to $5500, he just started out freakishly high in hopes of porking an unsuspecting victim... and of the two of you he's the only one that knows the true market value of that rig (and make no mistake, he knows it well).

Look closely and I for one would be particularly wary of this seller. Another warning sign of this seller's character is that nobody puts diamond plate rust patches on a vehicle that has no rust. It just wouldn't make sense.

My guess is that even if you drove off with that 'cruiser thinking you just got a smoking deal at less than $5k... you probably would learn differently later.

pay what owning the truck now is worth to YOU

I never asked anybody what I should pay - the truck has what I wanted, I am very happy with what I got; all of the POs did the right things (except for the trailer wiring :rolleyes:) - and more than 3 years later $500 more or less on the purchase price are history

alternatively: wait until you find a truck you want to pay for what you gotta pay for it :meh:

BTW, my truck wheels awesome IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - Live From Cruise Moab! :flipoff2:

Last edited:
I also don’t like the diamond plate. The FJ40 I’m currently looking at has it on the rear side fenders – like an aftermarket add-on/protection thing. Seems to have a few rivets and be sealed around the edges.

The balance of the body seems pretty good. Can this stuff usually be removed if the metal underneath is healthy, or is it just not worth the effort and additional bodywork? It’s a deal killer for me if it can’t go away.

i think most of you have superhero type skills. I just got an email from the guy about the 77' and he decided he wasn't going to give it away at that price. So the search continues. man this 40's forum is great. I have been in the 60's forum for numerous years but never the 40.

Can this stuff usually be removed if the metal underneath is healthy, or is it just not worth the effort and additional bodywork? It’s a deal killer for me if it can’t go away.

It can be removed. The question is 'how much work will it be?' ...and you won't know until you get 'em off. That's probably when the work will start though.

i think most of you have superhero type skills. I just got an email from the guy about the 77' and he decided he wasn't going to give it away at that price. So the search continues. man this 40's forum is great. I have been in the 60's forum for numerous years but never the 40.

He must be one of us...lurking :skull:...reading this thread...and now he knows you know too much...

Good luck in your search :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom