Need Opinions on a Bimmer... (1 Viewer)

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor
Looking at a 1971 R7.5/5 in immaculate condition, low miles, but has non-stock (well done) paint. Big Tank with full chrome side plates...

What's it worth?

That's getting to be a sought after bike. I haven't shopped the Internet lately but I can give you a good place to look for comparables. Try IBMWR - BMW Motorcycle Mailing List and check in their Marketplace area. There should be similar bikes for sale there. The non-stock paint would be the biggest detractor for me. Painting a bike these days runs around $1K.

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor
Actually, having spent quite a bit of time on the BMW car forums, I was under the impression that the spelling was the same but the pronunciation was different. And that the use of the word "beemer" was to identify the difference psuedo-hyphonectically.

Actually, having spent quite a bit of time on the BMW car forums, I was under the impression that the spelling was the same but the pronunciation was different. And that the use of the word "beemer" was to identify the difference psuedo-hyphonectically.

Well, don't listen to me then. You just head over to an enthusiasts meeting, and compliment one of them on their fine Bimmer. :D

Maybe bike guys are pickier, or more particular or whatever, but it's definitely Beemer for bikes, and spelled so. :cheers:

Here's an explanation. BMW Car Club of BC - bimmer vs beemer perspective

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor
Fair Enough

I can't claim much knowledge other than loving 85-86 E24 Sixers or perhaps an 86 M5.

You know, I thought about this some more...

This has to be one of the most ridulous things that grown men argue about.

I think that it really defines pretentiousness.

Last edited:
My God. My best friend and his dad drove R75/5's when I was young. Nice bikes though they took some TLC to keep them running right. Luv that huge gas tank! Then I bought my first Goldwing in '82 and my lust for their Beemers was over. My God I'm old!

Also checkout the "Old School" section of Advrider

Those guys could give you some pointers on possible pricing and also more importantly what to check for. I cannot remember when BMW went away from using crank slingers that eventually gummed up full of sludge and could cause a crank siezure. But that is the biggie with some of the earlier ones.

I have a 75/5 engine in my R60/2 - Ural outfit and it is a fine engine. Not sure about the rest of the bike as I have never ridden one for any length of time.

As a reference I have seen the /5's going for $2500 - $8000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom