Need oil pressure advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 1997 Landcruiser, 200,000 miles. No issues, runs great.

Oil pressure never goes above 40% cold. When hot goes down to 25-30% driving, and down to 0-5% at stop sign or red light. It's been this way since purchased used 10 years ago.

Could it be the oil pump? or oil pressure sensor?

I use toyota oil filter and castrol 10-30 oil.

I would like to keep this car another 10 years.

Any advice is appreciated.

the 10-30 oil is helping but yah that seem a bit low. Keep searching the forum, tons of great info about oil pressure issues.

Have a 1997 Landcruiser, 200,000 miles. No issues, runs great.

Oil pressure never goes above 40% cold. When hot goes down to 25-30% driving, and down to 0-5% at stop sign or red light. It's been this way since purchased used 10 years ago.

Could it be the oil pump? or oil pressure sensor?

I use toyota oil filter and castrol 10-30 oil.

I would like to keep this car another 10 years.

Any advice is appreciated.
This is a known issue on all 80's... I have a LX450 with the same issue. I replaced the oil sender and still was the same. I removed the sender and I put a direct gauge in and tested the oil pressure and it was between specs per FSM. One thing I did when I put the sender back in was to clean the connectors and put a direct grounding bridge to the negative connector and this indeed improved the gauge reading but eventually it went low as usual.

I worried about this but have decided to ignor it after wading through the threads. Same symptoms.

Also came across a lot of threads on running thicker oil but after reading a lot more this may be wrong. Most damage is done on cold start-up and you wanted thinner oil for this. :worms: In the end decided to run factory recommendations, which for me is 5w-30 year round. Time will tell.

This is a known issue on all 80's... I have a LX450 with the same issue. I replaced the oil sender and still was the same. I removed the sender and I put a direct gauge in and tested the oil pressure and it was between specs per FSM. One thing I did when I put the sender back in was to clean the connectors and put a direct grounding bridge to the negative connector and this indeed improved the gauge reading but eventually it went low as usual.

I didn't know this was so common. I guess that I will just ignore the low reading.

Thanks.

My pressure is better then the OP when engine is cold but not much different at other times. It really kills me looking at that gauge almost flat on the bottom at a red light. And when driving 65mph with the gauge just above the first line. I also want to keep this truck a good ten years or more and this doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

My pressure is better then the OP when engine is cold but not much different at other times. It really kills me looking at that gauge almost flat on the bottom at a red light. And when driving 65mph with the gauge just above the first line. I also want to keep this truck a good ten years or more and this doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I agree 100% with you. I would like to hear from people that have solved the issue. I read one post where a new sensor solved the problem. For others it did not work. Maybe best advice is to check with a real oil gauge and make shure pressure is ok, then maybe change sensor, maybe go to 30 instead of 10-30 oil? If I find a solution I'll let you know.

Stock oil pressure gauges are notorious liars. It is an idiot light with an arm. Put a real gauge on it.

Stock oil pressure gauges are notorious liars. It is an idiot light with an arm. Put a real gauge on it.

I have found them to be pretty accurate. I run the "for everyone else but USA" recommended oil, for my climate, 15W-50, at idle my gauge is at the second mark from the bottom, running down the road, the third mark. Many more of the 80's were made for other markets, so It's likely that the gauge is calibrated for them, never made a gauge calibrated for the relatively small US market?

Most aftermarket gauges will work fine the trick is getting the correct BSPT fitting or tapping the factory threads.

And trust me I'm really really familiar with 1fze oil pressure issues haha

My situation was different than 99% of other fellow mud members. Ultimately I handed the project over to a real professional in the 1FZE field after two attempts at rebuilding. Check your crank for the proper torque setting. Verify pressure with an aftermarket gauge whether that means just plugging in a shop gauge or installing a permanent aftermarket gauge and move on. What I can tell you is if in fact your pressure is really low the issue manifests itself quite quickly.

Also at 200k plus I would highly recommend a thicker viscosity oil. My old 80 with 170k on the clock had much better pressure running good ol rottela 15/40. Your tolerances have increased with age and mileage, your not going to hurt it IMHO

Also at 200k plus I would highly recommend a thicker viscosity oil. My old 80 with 170k on the clock had much better pressure running good ol rottela 15/40. Your tolerances have increased with age and mileage, your not going to hurt it IMHO

Sound good. But how about in winter, is it ok to use the 15-40? It's not to cold were I live, may gets down to 40-50 sometimes, usualy in the the 60's.
Could I also use de chevron delo 400 15-40??

From the FAQ section:

Australia Owner's Manual recommends the following oil viscosity, based solely on the performance requirements of the engine, unrestricted by US CAFE fuel economy regulations:

Temperature
19 to 100F: 20W-50
14 to 100F: 15W-40
0 to 100F: 10W-30
-22 to 46F: 5W-30

From the FAQ section:

Australia Owner's Manual recommends the following oil viscosity, based solely on the performance requirements of the engine, unrestricted by US CAFE fuel economy regulations:

Temperature
19 to 100F: 20W-50
14 to 100F: 15W-40
0 to 100F: 10W-30
-22 to 46F: 5W-30

What he said^ I'd let it warm up a few minutes before driving if it's really chilly but the rest of the world runs just fine on thicker oil. I've read enough pressure and oil threads in my life to boggle the mind but from what I understand the thinner weight oil called for in the USA FSM has more to do with meeting federal mandates for increasing fuel mileages back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom