Need new tires for the BJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
I need some new tires on the BJ60. I know it's a much rehashed subject but my main concern here is how big can I go before I lose too much power. I know I can regear to 4.11's (my daughter in Canada has a set and that might happen later) but for now I need tires that will allow me to climb the hills here in Guate with some speed (to keep ahead of the hijackers). Hills here are steep and we're at 5500 feet so that sort of is a disadvantage to larger tires already
I'm interested mainly in narrower tires rather than fat ones as I have no power steering and don't really want to do a power steering conversion at this time.

Travel here is mainly rough pavement and gravel with occasional mud during rainy season.

Right now I'm running stock LT235/75/15 tires that I got just before my rear springs snapped a few years ago (yes it looks a little goofy with those tires but I wasn't going to toss good tires after dropping coin on the lift to replace the busted springs).

Specs on the '60 are 3B with an AXT turbo, 3.7 gearing, H55 5 speed, and a 2 1/2" BDS lift.

The old tires will go on the FJ45LV for now to replace the bald tires it has.

I liek the look of the cooper tires, and everyone has BF goodrichs, they very well may be the best though

If you can, go 16". There are a number of tire sizes that would fit the bill, and this moves you into the HD commercial tires, which I think would stand up better to your intended use.

BFG Commercial
Toyo M-55

etc...

Even the Cooper ST...

235/85R16 would net you 31.5(32)x9.5 and is available in a variety of brands, and would be good on the factory 16x6 Toyota rims.

Alternatively if you can get the Unique 7760 series rims (16x7), you can move to the 255/85R16 which would be 33x10 (or so).

hth's

gb

Greg, I can probably find some 16" rims down here fairly easily so I'll first look for rims and then tires.

How about this? I guess you'd need to pick up some splitties.
Nicaragua 2005 084 lo res.JPG

Greg_B said:
235/85R16 would net you 31.5(32)x9.5 and is available in a variety of brands, and would be good on the factory 16x6 Toyota rims.

gb

cruiser_guy, this is the route I went. before I was 30 x 9.5

I didn't notice a power loss.

the load range went from C to E.

I think 235 85 16 are the best choice for tires and fit 60 series cruisers very well.

also being narrow I feel they have a nice low rolling resistance.

I run bridgestone vsx v-steels. but what ever tough tire they sell around there should suffice.

if you want smaller that 235 85 R16 go with a 7.50 x 16. its fitted to most 70 series new. good size and would also fit 60 good. but you have a bds 2.5 so 235 would look better. I also have bds 2.5

NorCalCruzr said:
How about this? I guess you'd need to pick up some splitties.

Split rims are relatively easy to find but my concern is repair of flats when we're stateside as most gas stations that do flat repair won't touch split rims.

cruiser_guy said:
Split rims are relatively easy to find but my concern is repair of flats when we're stateside as most gas stations that do flat repair won't touch split rims.

if you have a full size spare you can deal with it when you want. FWIW with 8 ply tyres and a tube I've never had a split rim flat. Knock on wood. :popcorn:

Bull had a nice write up on how to change one in 40 tech

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=55037&page=1&highlight=split+rim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom