Need new shoes on my 80 series...which of these two? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been running Bridgestone Revo II's for probably the last 10-12 years. But now they stopped making that tire (it's some new model I don't like).

My 80 see's 75% highway use and the remaining 25% is generally on my Ranch Roads (some of which can get pretty muddy). I don't need a dedicated off-road tire because I don't really 'wheel' my Land Cruiser. I have an Early Model Bronco for that. But I also don't need a highway tire.

Both the Cooper and the General tire are readily available in the small town I live outside of.

Both look like they'd suit my needs.

Anyone have experience with either one? Preferences? Caveats?

Need to get something on my 80 in the next month or two.

Thanks, Flint.

Tire Cooper ST Maxx.png
Tire Grabber X3.jpg

Cooper has a good reputation. The grabber you show above is going to be noisier and has very little siping on the lugs

I guess not much snow in Texas? For rock crawling or mud I would go for the Grabber.

I've had bad luck with Cooper tyres and I know of quite a few others that have had sidewall failures without warning. I realise it's not on your list but I've been very happy with nitro terra grappler G2 on my daily, 60,000 km so far, quite a lot on gravel and probably another 10-15000 km to go

I am on my second set of Toyo MT. Did all of South America on a set. These tires are a beast. I guarantee you will never puncture a sidewall. The only downside are the weight.

Grabber. Had mine for 2 years and love them. Better than the bfg km2s I had before. Get the red label

20180915_194933.jpg

Really like the S/T Maxx. Good all around tire without being too loud on the road or slippery in the rain. Running the 255/85/16 variety.

Also, hard to beat Bfg ATs. They wear forever.

50k miles on my BFG KO2's and they still have plenty of life left. They wear like iron, are quiet on the highway, great in snow, and handle all of my offroad needs. They will do ok in some mud but are not a mud bogging tire by any means.

id go fo the coopers, more sipping and has the ability to throw some studs in there for snow and ice. another consideration might be the cooper at3 4s, some guys at work have them on their truck and love them. us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-4s

I got over 70k on my last set of ST Maxx in 37’s. In full disclosure I did have 1 sidewall failure at 70k. But it was due to multiple sidewall cuts caused by running thousands of miles in heavy crushed shale roads at high speeds, a few times air born, and some serious rock crawling.

I guess not much snow in Texas? For rock crawling or mud I would go for the Grabber.

Not in my area (Deep East Texas). We do get a few inches of snow every few years. Ice is more of a concern. And no tire is good on ice so that wouldn't concern me. Standing rain water on roads is the most common problem here. Definitely need something with a deep tread and open shoulders to channel out water.

Most of my driving is on the highway...but I do use the vehicle at times here on the ranch. Roads range from good gravel to rutted muddy sections. I'm not usually more than a mile and a half from the house when out doing things on the property, so even IF I were to get stuck....I can easily walk back and get a tractor.

So...I just need a decent A/T tire for what I do. Not really 'stuck' on the two choices I posted, but would like to hear from those who might be running them as to how they perform and hold up. The tread pattern on these is actually somewhat a departure from what I've been running for years (Bridgestone Revo II's) and really not had problems with them.

Tire DuelerATRevo2.jpg

If I need to go somewhere rough on the property....I just take the Bronco anyway. It's locked front and rear, has a winch, Cooper STT's, Plus I can flog it and not feel bad about it. The Land Cruiser is my 'baby' and I want it to be around long time. I'll have had it for 20 years this next August.

I've had bad luck with Cooper tyres and I know of quite a few others that have had sidewall failures without warning. I realise it's not on your list but I've been very happy with nitro terra grappler G2 on my daily, 60,000 km so far, quite a lot on gravel and probably another 10-15000 km to go

I'd hesitate to buy Cooper's too, but of the two options posted, they'd be best suited to the use you describe.

I've been running nitto Terra grapplers for 18 months, maybe 30k km.
They've been good in the dry, on and off road.
As they've worn they've become unpredictable on a wet surface, to the point I'll be looking for an alternative before long.

I've always had a good run with BFG ATs

50k miles on my BFG KO2's and they still have plenty of life left. They wear like iron, are quiet on the highway, great in snow, and handle all of my offroad needs. They will do ok in some mud but are not a mud bogging tire by any means.

Have a couple of friends with that tire on their trucks. Good for many applications but they 'fill up' with the red clay we have here faster than you can say 'quit that'. Then they won't 'clear' without some very aggressive tire spinning. If I were someplace rocky and dry....I'd look at them. I'm not off-road a lot in my Land Cruiser, but when I am...it might very well be muddy and our 'mud' is actually clay.

Mud.jpg

I will look for one of the new models that have gone out in recent years of the aggressive AT type light MT tires. From the mayor Japanese and Korean brands. Nitto, Toyo, Yokohama, Sumitomo, Hankook, Maxxis, etc. The other brands for sidewall Goodyear Kevlar Lined tires (expensive). Cooper makes lots tires for other brands. My next tire is gonna be aggressive AT type but with the HD carcass of an MT.

Have a couple of friends with that tire on their trucks. Good for many applications but they 'fill up' with the red clay we have here faster than you can say 'quit that'. Then they won't 'clear' without some very aggressive tire spinning. If I were someplace rocky and dry....I'd look at them. I'm not off-road a lot in my Land Cruiser, but when I am...it might very well be muddy and our 'mud' is actually clay.

Good call - since you aren't putting a ton of highway miles on the cruiser I'd stick with a true mud tire.

I ran the Toyo St's on my 200 for a bit - nice running tire but limited cleaning ability in our texas gumbo mud.... I think the AT2's are a tire worth considering - had them on the 200 and they were a perfect allround setup I felt..... have them on the wife's G now. they did well on Moab and Imogene/ Telluride trails this summer.

E

I will be going back to an AT tire next time, the hum of a MT is getting to me more than it used to. Based on the current offerings the Toyo AT2 would be my choice.

For an A/T type tire I think there are some other options that I personally would look at. First off, I have not liked my experience with Cooper tires. I had the STT Pro but it had terrible wear characteristics. I believe the same compound is used in the STT Pro and the Cooper AT you posted so I would be wary of that, especially with the amount of highway driving you do.

Of your two choices I'd definitely go with the Grabber over the Cooper. However, you might also look at the General Grabber AT. I had those on my 80 when I bought was very impressed with them. I had the AT2, which I believe has been renamed to ATP. Very quiet, excellent road manners and surprisingly good offroad traction.

Honestly I'm kinda surprised you've run the Revos for so long. I've seen more punctures and flats on Revos than any other tire I've ever come across. We had 5 revo flats in one trip a while back. Not my rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom