Need new Shoes..Anyone running Milestar Patagonia M/T? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NYIronPig

YES I have a problem...
SILVER Star
Threads
Have heard good things, but wanted to check here before I moved forward. Always been a BFG guy. Still debating 35" or 37" for my ride. I am running an LS swap with chromoly axles, 4:88 gears and a 4" OME lift with Fox shocks, so 37's should be no issues for my rig. Welcome any thoughts here.

I looked at them.
But when I ran the miles/life/cost and then looked at the subjective reviews I went with the Falken Wildpeaks.
My rig spends 90-95% of its time on pavement as a DD, if it was strickly a trail rig, I'd probably run around on the Milestars.

we went with Procomp 315 tires on the LX and 80, as the 4 Wheel Parts warranty is the best for our use, which is largely on trails, not much on asphalt

I ran them for a few thousand miles, pretty nice tires just too loud for me as a DD. They were fantastic in the wet and snow, good all around off road. Too bad you’re not closer, still have them for sale.

I looked at them.
But when I ran the miles/life/cost and then looked at the subjective reviews I went with the Falken Wildpeaks.
My rig spends 90-95% of its time on pavement as a DD, if it was strickly a trail rig, I'd probably run around on the Milestars.
Yea, also looking at the Falken Wildpeaks now after doing more reading. My FJ80 is not a trail rig, so want something that does well on Pavement too. You happy with them?

These Milestars do get great reviews:

https://simpletire.com/brands/milestar-tires/patagonia-m-t/reviews

Anyone else running them on your FJ80?

Last edited:
I know a lot of people who hate these tires. But Matt's off-road recovery really likes them lol.

If your going to spend a lot of time in the sand than I bet they would be a great tire.

I've run the Patti A/T tire (since redesigned) and they were great (for what they were) on and off road.
I now run the Falkens. Not a DD and mostly trail. They are fine in the linear. But when lateral forces get involved, they tend to slide almost too easily. A bit disconcerting. In that knowledge I'm able to adjust, but they still surprise me on occasion. (not so fun in technical sections)
Had a Jeep 'friend' running 37" Patti M/Ts. Like others have said, and too Matts Offroad Recovery, they are quite soft and grippy. Great off road, but contributes alot to on-road noise.

Looking like the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W for me now

Love my Cooper AT3’s

Last year my friend got a set of 33” pategonias and I got a set of maxxis razrs. The razr seemed to perform better in just about every scenario. His biggest complaint is that they don’t track straight on off camber situations and they’re not as quiet as everybody claims. His were also extremely hard. I’m 10k miles they wore a 32nd, which doesn’t bode well for off road or on road traction.

In our limited experience, they’re not a tire worth trying. I know the larger the tires get the softer the compound so it might be a great tire in a 35”-40”. Especially now that the 2nd generations coming out.

Yea, also looking at the Falken Wildpeaks now after doing more reading. My FJ80 is not a trail rig, so want something that does well on Pavement too. You happy with them?

I'm 1000 miles from the 3rd rotation.
So...21000 miles or so. They are wearing like iron. Great water shedding ability on pavement, good in sand, (There is a lot of sand here, they don't call it the sand hills for nothing). The Wildpeaks are excellent on slick rock, not great in mud, but no slouch.
I run them down around 20-18 psi on the trails they are very sure footed.
I'll be buying them again when its time to replace these.

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, and I haven’t confirmed it directly with Falken, but according to Joe Bacal who does testing for various companies & previously loved the AT3W, they told him/them they tweaked the compound, and they didn’t test quite as well in wet and snow like everyone loves them for. How much of a difference there really is, assuming this is true - who knows. I’m sure they are still an excellent tire. That’s what I had been looking at when I needed new shoes last year, but ended up going with the new Toyo AT3, and really loving them up here in AK. Very sure-footed in all winter conditions, smooth and not loud, wearing well... would definitely buy again, although I will probably still consider the falkens when the time comes.

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, and I haven’t confirmed it directly with Falken, but according to Joe Bacal who does testing for various companies & previously loved the AT3W, they told him/them they tweaked the compound, and they didn’t test quite as well in wet and snow like everyone loves them for. How much of a difference there really is, assuming this is true - who knows. I’m sure they are still an excellent tire. That’s what I had been looking at when I needed new shoes last year, but ended up going with the new Toyo AT3, and really loving them up here in AK. Very sure-footed in all winter conditions, smooth and not loud, wearing well... would definitely buy again, although I will probably still consider the falkens when the time comes.
That would be weird if they really changed the compound because in order to have the 'snowflake' designation they have to meet certain requirements that almost specifically deals with the compound. I love mine except for the fact they last so long......I want to get a size bigger. ;)

They just have to pass the tests, but yes, compound certainly plays into performance. His comment was last fall, so they had achieved the snowflake well before then. But could they simply have retained the rating? Do they have to re-qualify for the snowflake with any little change? Do they even have to report little changes in the first place? I don’t know these things...

It came from Joe himself last fall, who isn’t just some random car dude who made a YouTube channel. Where you at, Joe? We need answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom