Need new keys ...Removing ignition switch help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need to have an iginition key made and I don't know if any of the lock cyclinders match.

I plan on taking all locks aout of the truck and having a locksmith make me a set.

Will the igintion and door key be the same type of key. I would like to key them alike.

What about the rear amby doors? Are they a different key type as well?

Thanks guys. I'm pickingup a good (hopefully) 2F today near Hazelton and will be droping in this engine this weekend or next. I'd rather not hotwire the fu$ker.

on my 78 the ing key and door key are different but the keys look alike so i guess you could key them the same. but the ambulance door key is alot smaller and i do not think you could key that the same. my door key also opens the gas filler door. i took my ing key cylinder out without the key it is a little challenging i had to brake the little pins that hold it in. in the manual you are supposed to put it in acc to be able to push those little pins in to pull out cylinder. but my locksmith replaced them and made me 2 keys for the cylinder for like $25.

Last edited:
it is very easy to hotwire a cruiser. IMO you should hotwire it and take it to a locksmith or have a mobile one come to you .You can't remove the ignition tumblers without damaging them when you don't have a key.If however the locks in the door are original ,they will be the same as the ignition and you could remove one and take it to a locksmith to get a key made.

Thank you. I bought a complete set of locks and keys today from Gary in Brockton Pa. He was very good to me so far as yet. I bought a 2F from him as well and hope to dropit in soon.

For future reference for anyone interested:

I lost my keys and was able to get a code cut. The passenger door lock has a code on it and it was only $13 + $6 for 2 keys cut. Pretty cheap compared to them having to take the tumblers all apart or buying a whole new set.

My front doors, ignition, and gas cap door are all the same key. I don't have a key for the back door.

As for "hotwiring" your 40. All you have to do is pull the column covers and remove a little screw holding the switch on. Then just turn the switch with a screwdriver. Not really hot wiring and has surely come in handy a time or two.

Oh, and wouldn't ya know it, after 2 weeks of "hotwiring" the beast and finally getting that code cut, 2 days later my kids find my keys out in the front yard landscape by our big rock. I knew he lost em when he went up to get the mail. :mad: lol

All Toyotas have the key code stamped on the passenger door lock. Took the lock out and to the locksmith...computer spits out a new key. No need to replace all the locks just to get a new key for the old.

toyman317 said:
All Toyotas have the key code stamped on the passenger door lock. Took the lock out and to the locksmith...computer spits out a new key. No need to replace all the locks just to get a new key for the old.
Yeah, pretty much like I said...

The locksmith said that most cars are that way too. ;)

Thank sguys for all of your input. I hope this helps others as it has helped me. cheers kenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom