Need new key FOBs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Handing my 100 down to one of my daughters to drive in HS. I still have both original key fobs and the valet key. However, both key fob cases are broken and need to be replaced. Can someone school me on how I go about doing this? Thanks in advance!

image.jpeg

@suprarx7nut makes some 3D printed fobs that are separate from the key and solve the cracked shell problem when paired with a Camry key.

You can also get keys/shells on eBay for cheap, but they tend to break easier than the OEM ones, and sometimes need some filing for the transponder to fit.

Update: I purchased two key blanks (with FOB shells) from Amazon and took them to Lowes to have the keys cut. Everything works perfectly after transferring the internal parts. To top it off, Lowes did not even charge me for cutting the keys! I guess I will see how long they will last but even if I have to replace every few years, I am way ahead cost-wise when compared to OEM replacements.

image.png

Last edited:
I purchased the ones off of Amazon and they eventually broke in the same spot.

I got a regular Toyota key cut and removed the key from the fob, instead I use it like a fob and use the key for the ignition.

My drunk .08

∆∆∆
This is what I was talking about.

I currently have a Toyota transponder key and use the broken one as a separate FOB.

Do you know if these keys 2001 LC model need to be specialty cut? Laser cut? or can any locksmith cut them?

None of the keys (Lexus or Toyota) are "Laser Cut". Some machines may use a laser to 'map' the shape of Lexus key cuts, but all 'grind/mill' the key in one fashion or another.

^^^^^^^ The above information....straight from my trusted locksmith.

Last edited:
IMG_7403.JPG
This worked perfectly. No need to cut a new key, because you reuse the key blade from the old key and transfer the transponder. You can find them on Amazon for $10 and it's made by Stauber. You will need the rounded shell.

View attachment 1381597 This worked perfectly. No need to cut a new key, because you reuse the key blade from the old key and transfer the transponder. You can find them on Amazon for $10 and it's made by Stauber. You will need the rounded shell.
I can't find the round shell version. Have you seen one?

I got a couple eternity keys made for miline and my fil's 2006. They are kick butt and yea i broke several prior to that. They're high dollar but i appreciate their quality.

The YOTAMD.com key fob works great! I got a red one and I love it. It adds a bit of color to the dash as well as stands out from all my other Toyota/Lexus keys.

RKTINC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom