Need New Ignition Key, Toyota reportedly dumped data (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ignition key will not turn. It was super hard to get it out the last time I turned it off. I read several other threads. I tried jiggling key, rotating the steering wheel (to "unlock" the wheel), lubrication, hammer tapping, pushing back and forth on front bumper. Went to local Toyota Dealer here in Hampton Virginia. Was told by the parts department that Toyota dumped all the data to generate a key from the Vin Number. Any suggestions? If necessary - how do I replace the entire assembly at this point. Thanks in advance.

I would try another dealer.

Ignition key will not turn. It was super hard to get it out the last time I turned it off. I read several other threads. I tried jiggling key, rotating the steering wheel (to "unlock" the wheel), lubrication, hammer tapping, pushing back and forth on front bumper. Went to local Toyota Dealer here in Hampton Virginia. Was told by the parts department that Toyota dumped all the data to generate a key from the Vin Number. Any suggestions? If necessary - how do I replace the entire assembly at this point. Thanks in advance.

Or, remove the key cylinder from the passenger door and get the key code off of the side of the barrel.

e.g., W1528

Reading Cruiserdan's response - I may have an additional complication. I have 2 keys: one for the doors and one for the ignition. Is this not a stock configuration on an 91 80 series? My 87 FJ60 has 2 keys: one long and one short. If not stock sounds like I need a new Ignition Switch Cyliner. Thanks again

That would make it seem that the ignition cylinder has been changed at some point. One key should run all the locks. If the "door" key works in the tail gate and glove box then the ignition cylinder has been changed or is severely worn.

I just had a key cut at a Toyota store last week. They used the key codes from Toyota. Try another store.

That would make it seem that the ignition cylinder has been changed at some point. One key should run all the locks. If the "door" key works in the tail gate and glove box then the ignition cylinder has been changed or is severely worn.

Hi Vetran , matt here ,

exactly like @cruiserdan mentions , your key code is stamped on passenger side front lock cylinder

But if your current ignition key is different Code , from a past Repair where the PO did not want to pay the

labor to have re-coded // Re-Keyed , then your in a bit of a pinch , .....

you should have only ONE key code for entire vehical ,

- Removing a Jammed Key stuck in a 80 Series Ignition may involve a Precision Drill out of the Retainer Pin ?

- this can be a Very Dicey Hanover , and i would only use it as a last resort

- i would strongly recommend , that you Remove the Part named the Upper Bracket in the FSM diagram below

this holds the siezed and jammed lock and Key u now have ,

u can then Mail it to Me , I have the TOYOTA OEM SST Lock & Key Tools to Extract your Jammed Lock cylinder

carefully and correctly , then Re-Key your New OEM Ignition Lock to match your rest of vehicals Doors etc ....

-Note: I ONLY use OEM TOYOTA Genuine Lock and Key parts , and i NEVER use any Aftermarket Cost cutting

Parts , I would Respectfully Decline the Job if asked by any Client to just that .........

this includes, the OEM Toyota Back Top Keys , Silver all metal Keys , and any Possible Valet Keys involved

I Cut on My Computerized Dealership Grade SST Code cutting Machine .....

If i can , I will Try to help You Out in any way i can , including the Use of USPS Priority mail Express Overnight

Shipping Methods , Im up East Of Washington DC , so were Close as well , regarding any Vehical Down

Needed Repair Time ...................

- this usps Killer Kool Service is only $28 Now !

Kindly Matt

note: my refrence diagram below is from a 1990 FJ62 , But your 80 Series is VERY Similar to comparison ....

old skool toyota 2.jpeg

DSCN9833.JPG

DSCN9792.JPG

DSCN1005.JPG

DSCN1017.JPG

I'd just go push button start with a kill switch

Hi Vetran , matt here ,

exactly like @cruiserdan mentions , your key code is stamped on passenger side front lock cylinder

But if your current ignition key is different Code , from a past Repair where the PO did not want to pay the

labor to have re-coded // Re-Keyed , then your in a bit of a pinch , .....

you should have only ONE key code for entire vehical ,

- Removing a Jammed Key stuck in a 80 Series Ignition may involve a Precision Drill out of the Retainer Pin ?

- this can be a Very Dicey Hanover , and i would only use it as a last resort

- i would strongly recommend , that you Remove the Part named the Upper Bracket in the FSM diagram below

this holds the siezed and jammed lock and Key u now have ,

u can then Mail it to Me , I have the TOYOTA OEM SST Lock & Key Tools to Extract your Jammed Lock cylinder

carefully and correctly , then Re-Key your New OEM Ignition Lock to match your rest of vehicals Doors etc ....

-Note: I ONLY use OEM TOYOTA Genuine Lock and Key parts , and i NEVER use any Aftermarket Cost cutting

Parts , I would Respectfully Decline the Job if asked by any Client to just that .........

this includes, the OEM Toyota Back Top Keys , Silver all metal Keys , and any Possible Valet Keys involved

I Cut on My Computerized Dealership Grade SST Code cutting Machine .....

If i can , I will Try to help You Out in any way i can , including the Use of USPS Priority mail Express Overnight

Shipping Methods , Im up East Of Washington DC , so were Close as well , regarding any Vehical Down

Needed Repair Time ...................

- this usps Killer Kool Service is only $28 Now !

Kindly Matt

note: my refrence diagram below is from a 1990 FJ62 , But your 80 Series is VERY Similar to comparison ....

Wow! Your an amazing resource here that I had no idea about.

Do you do the Lexus keys too?

I was just going to recommend him find someone parting out a rig & buy all the lock cylinders.
They are pretty easy to swap out.
Just another idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom