Need new front bumper - aftermarket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found out how a truck with no ABS handles downhill in the rain last night. Need a new bumper, headlight, valence, and some others. I could search for someone parting out their 91-92 with a straight bumper and valence, pay for that and shipping, or I could get aftermarket panels. A bumper like an ARB or slee shortbus is not an option financially. The prices on these seem wayyy too good to be true:
-- -- They also say they have no bumper for a 91-92, but shouldn't a 93 be pretty damn near the exact same? I bought a bumper from these guys a couple years ago for a similar price that is JDM style, with a hole in the middle for a winch, and it didn't seem terrible. The finish was kinda crappy and it was probably a bit thinner than OEM, but it seemed like it would fit fine (never ended up installing it). What is your guys' take on this situation and aftermarket body panels?

I bought an aftermarket hood, I believe from that vendor. The first one showed up bent and I refused to take delivery. The second one showed up in good shape, but the fit is definitely not perfect... I couldn't get the panel gaps to line up with the fenders. It also didn't have the correct shape holes to accept the stock windshield sprayers. I had to drill my own and get aftermarket sprayers. Good enough for my purposes and a lot cheaper than a used part-out OEM hood that I could find anywhere. I think the bumper being "perfect" would be a lot less crucial than a hood though. I'd say go for it if you want a stock bumper. Hard to go wrong at that price.

If you're open to an offroad bumper, the Trail Gear and BIOR are both on the cheap end of the spectrum. I have the BIOR and it is really well built. Stock bumper might as well be a tin can as easily as it bends.

Found out how a truck with no ABS handles downhill in the rain last night. Need a new bumper, headlight, valence, and some others. I could search for someone parting out their 91-92 with a straight bumper and valence, pay for that and shipping, or I could get aftermarket panels. A bumper like an ARB or slee shortbus is not an option financially. The prices on these seem wayyy too good to be true:
-- -- They also say they have no bumper for a 91-92, but shouldn't a 93 be pretty damn near the exact same? I bought a bumper from these guys a couple years ago for a similar price that is JDM style, with a hole in the middle for a winch, and it didn't seem terrible. The finish was kinda crappy and it was probably a bit thinner than OEM, but it seemed like it would fit fine (never ended up installing it). What is your guys' take on this situation and aftermarket body panels?

Do you have any welding skills? You can get a bumper kit for the 80 from Move or NTI for about $450-$500.

I have been debating about an NWTI bumper for a while now. I wish there were some more pictures of them out there. They are definitely cost effective.

I have been debating about an NWTI bumper for a while now. I wish there were some more pictures of them out there. They are definitely cost effective.

Yep, I think I'm about to pull the trigger for them on front and rear for both my Cruisers. Hard to beat the price.

Removing the original front bumper and tossing it in the recycle bin is quite common. You should post in the parts wanted section or your local club forum.

Yeah, im going to pull the trigger on the carparts.com bumper because really what’s $65 in the long run, but if anyone with a 91-94 gets rid of their stock front bumper, hmu!

If you can get a decent condition used one shipped to you for a comparable cost it would be a better option. Those aftermarket panels are often thinner steel and frequently don't fit like the factory stuff. I've bought them for different cars over the years and would only do it again on something I didn't care about the look.

If you do get one paint it immediately. The coating on them looks like paint but it will rust in a day or two outside.

x2 on the black coating. Paint it right away.

B1.jpg
B2.jpg
B3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom