Need More Power in bj60

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a BJ60 with the 3b Diesel. I like it, but am going to need more power. I am planning to start pulling a small camper to the lake. What Diesel swaps do you guys recommend for this? I have the 6.2 GM diesel and the Cummins Diesel in mind. Any other options for me?

Thanks
Clint

There has never been a BJ60 owner who felt any differently. Or an HJ60 owner...

Is a Turbo going to give me that extra power to pull a 16-18ft Camper?

Is a Turbo going to give me that extra power to pull a 16-18ft Camper?

Yes but it wont be a startling kind of power. Adequate is probably the best way to desribe it.
I would try that before an engine swap

I turbo'd my BJ60 at 300,000 kms, I'm now at 560,000kms. It's still not a rocket but certainly adequate for what I do.

AXT or Turboglide Turbo?

I went garrett home made. DO a search, there is plenty of threads.

As far as power goes, the turbo wakens the engine the fauck up. Still not a rocket, but much much better. I towed my tent trailer and truck loaded to the tits for 12,500 kms and felt it did the job.

My truck was at 242,000 kms when I turbo;d it. Worth it IMOP. Still enjoy driving it 30,000 kms later in one year. Post turbo.

AXT simplifies life. I would also consider a denco.

:flipoff2:

AXT or Turboglide Turbo?

My BJ60 has the AXT kit on it. I also have an FJ55/3B with the AXT manifold and a Volvo turbo and an FJ45LV/3B with the 13B-T manifold and Supra CT26 turbo (not yet on the road).

Thanks for all the info guys! I will have to see what happens. I got an oil leak that I need to fix first, and then I will look at the turbo.

Thanks!

did my turbo @ 500,000kms. boosting 25psi, running strong. but i have a spare engine incase that one blows an o-ring. pretty sure my truck will tow a 14 foot work trailer i have thats really heavy and full of tools+ boxes of nails, HEAVY

fire in a turbo and egt gauge and a 2 1/4" exhaust crank out the fuel screw and you'll be just fine. maybe and inter cooler and propane injection kit as well. after all your not pulling the trailer all day every day.
i have a bj60-T with stock gearing and 35/10.5/ boggers and can spin them just fine for about 3-5 feet on dry pavement and as long as i need in the gravel and as long as i want in the snow. i pull my 14.5 foot glass boat all over with no problems at all and i am always pulling trees out of the ground and people out of the mud. i wold like more power but the 3b-t is just fine and cheap to run. $20 cnd and i can play all day..

You won't have an issue pulling the trailer, but the stock brakes on a BJ60 suck when it comes to pulling a trailer. I pulled our 18' ski boat up to the lake (about 50 km's) and I left so much room in front of me as I found the braking was really poor with that weight behind me.

Turbo to start with. You will NEVER burn tires off with a 3B engine though, even with a turbo.

Turbo, intercooler- please don't put a 6.2/6.5 in there.

I have a BJ60 with the 3b Diesel. I like it, but am going to need more power. I am planning to start pulling a small camper to the lake. What Diesel swaps do you guys recommend for this? I have the 6.2 GM diesel and the Cummins Diesel in mind. Any other options for me?

Thanks
Clint

How far to the lake and what's the terrain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom