Need measurements 85-87 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installing an h42 in my 88/62. Need measurements and pics of measure points to install/weld crossmember brackets.

There is some movement/slop in exactly where it could be welded. I know the transfer case end could shift left or right an inch or more, and of course the crossmember has some movement on the transmission mount...

I also need to see how tight the crossmember is to the frame and how close the top of the transfer is to the body.

Post or message if you have one and have time.

Thanks!

bolt the transmission to the motor, bolt the crossmember and mount to the transmission, the crossmember is flush with the bottom of the frame, weld your mounts accordingly. If the transmission shifter is in the middle of the hole in the floor then you're fine. Don't overthink it.

What he said, jack it up to the frame, however the crossmember may not be exactly flush to the frame rails, it likely will make contact first on its leading edge.
I know the crossmember on my 62 has a slight rear tilt to it, similar comments made by @Paul DiNapoli in his 5 speed conversion thread.

bolt the transmission to the motor, bolt the crossmember and mount to the transmission, the crossmember is flush with the bottom of the frame, weld your mounts accordingly. If the transmission shifter is in the middle of the hole in the floor then you're fine. Don't overthink it.
Yep, thats where im at. Seems with slots in crossmember, the crossmember/ears can move around on the frame. Also seems the front driveshaft will be super close to the crossmember, as in maybe hit it at a droop.

Ill make sure the trans mount studs are centered in the crossmember slots.

I am installing it in a 62, with a 3f bellousing, so its tilted to the pass side, the shifter tower was a little to the pass side when the top plate was off. I can move the end of the transfer case towards the drivers side, pivot a littl on the engine mounts.

What he said, jack it up to the frame, however the crossmember may not be exactly flush to the frame rails, it likely will make contact first on its leading edge.
I know the crossmember on my 62 has a slight rear tilt to it, similar comments made by @Paul DiNapoli in his 5 speed conversion thread.
Yea, ive got another 62 and see there is a gap on the trailing edge of the crossmember to frame, and crossmember touches the frame on the leading edge (on 62 w A440). Ill look up his threads. Thanks

do you have the long H42? the one with the spacer?
if it is the short H42 the 3 piece crossmember has a more pronounced dish in the leading edge to clear the front driveshaft.

Long one.
So that once the covid is over and jobs resume, I can more easily install an h55...

Just remember you don’t want to weld in tension into the mounting. Once you’ve
pushed the assembly to the frame, get another jack under the t case and lift slightly
loosening he bolts on the crossmember as you go. Then make sure no tension
and everything is ‘centred’. You don’t want to weld it with through bolts right against
the edge of holes etc. Someday you want to take it all apart and not have stress on
rubber isolators either

Thats a nice thought but it doesn’t really matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom