Need LX470 Suspension Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry if this is a newbie question but I’m just not familiar with the in’s and out’s of what is going on as I just recently purchased this vehicle in hopes up fixing it up as a daily commuter/ weekend warrior rig.

I bought the vehicle from a broker so no real history other than what I’ve pulled off the carfax and just doesn’t help me here. The previous owner took the AHC system off and replaced it with what I was told was the LC suspension. The issue is that it’s really soft through the corners... like Cadillac kind of soft so much so that if I take a windy road it really rolls and feels a bit unstable through the corners. Today I drove my buddies LC today with stock suspension and confirmed that mine rides way softer than his which leads me to believe mine was replaced with a cheaper version suspension kit or at least a softer ride maybe by the previous owners request. The current rear springs say “Arnott 14-4355” on them and believe it or not I can’t find any info online for this setup so I’m reaching out here.

With all that I definitely want a firm suspension, not rough firm but at least equal to the stock LC suspension would be nice. As a consideration I have a drawer system in back which adds about 100 lbs but I did also take the 3rd row seats out. I’mposting some pics to see if anyone can identify what is actually under there and what kit I need to replace this with or maybe I just simply need new springs or something.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

4B8448A5-D7AD-4704-877A-A89604EA482A.jpeg

2119C5C3-42C4-40E1-AFBC-2E01B097CBC4.jpeg

155F873D-E0B3-451B-A0CC-448437EC0F68.jpeg

ACF03C09-10EF-44DC-A344-ED341B4AA21E.jpeg

Thanks

B4E44DA9-85E0-4769-BB9B-730FFC6B9470.jpeg

It looks like Arnott makes air suspension conversion kits, but they don't have LX470 or 100 series versions. The LX470 suspension is also technically hydraulic (not really sure if that matters here). It seems like they may have carried Sequoia parts, which could have been their confusion (as I shake my head in disappointment). I say give them a call and see what they say. They might be able to look up a replacement part and then tell you what it was originally for.

Good luck!

Thanks that’s a great idea, I’ll see about calling them today and at least maybe be able to see the direction it was going in maybe

Two things I would check first:
Are both anti roll bars in place, and are they of the LC type? The LX (or LC w AHC) has a thinner/weaker anti roll bar, as the ahc system helps with anti roll/sway/squat/dive.
Are the front springs changed, the torsion bars? The AHC version has much thinner torsion bars, but I've heard that it's possible to wind them up to take the whole weight of the front - which results in a very soft ride. You'll find the dimensions in some thread in here.*

Normally, the standard LC suspension, with OE springs and shocks, gives a great ride - not super firm, but good.

Edit: Stock torsion bar diameter ? 100 series diesel. and gas.

Last edited:
I suspect someone did a Strutmasters (or equivalent half-assed) conversion

that replaced the rear coils, and shocks, but left the OE AHC torsion bars.

@uHu, thanks for throwing the anti roll bars into the equation, I was actually suspect of that as the "roll" or "dive" if you will progressing into a corner is awful which is probably my biggest complaint with it so there just might be a lot to that suspicion but again being a newbie here just haven't had enough forum time to get that far with it yet. That said I'll do some more homework in that area and also I do have the benefit of my buddies bone stock LC to compare side by side notes with.

@jLB, I think there might be something to your suspicions too. I actually just contacted Arnott and they couldn't even find that spring number anywhere in there records then the tech finally found it on the ole' interweb from WAY back and it does appear that they did sell a simple low grade conversion kit they had sold for these vehicles but the information is pretty limited on it ( https://arnottinfo.com/manuals/C-2479.pdf )... I'll check the diameter of the torsion bars and do what uHu suggested on figuring out what sway bars are on there when I get home

One thing for sure is that I'll be doing some sort of work under there I just don't want to dump the coin thinking I'm fixing the problem just to have discovered I should have went a different rout meaning what if it is just the sway bars or something... I'm kind of thinking I'll probably just need to replace all of it just to get the feel I want out of it which isn't such a bad thing... I think the hardest part about all this will be keeping the expenses away from wifey ; ) ...

So here’s the conclusion so far... as suspected it appears that the conversion was done with what I would deem as a substandard kit. They did not swap out the torsion bars as through a part number look up and physically measuring both models I’ve confirmed they are for sure the stock LX TB’s... Also just for future knowledge the LX torsion bars mic out at about 25.5mm and the LC stock TB’s are at about 28.5mm, an entire 3mm of raw spring steel girth to hold firm in the corners. Also just for giggles it appears the front and rear sway bars are the exact same for both rigs... conclusion is I just need to either get a cheap used LC setup or get an aftermarket set up to eliminate the severe roll I’m getting when I Mario Andretti it into a corner

Re Anti roll bars:
(minimal difference, and on the rear sway bar only)

Hahh, that’s interesting as I did mic mine in at 23.1 and my buddy did say his on his LC was right at 24mm, I simply chalked that down as human error

Wow do your rig sag up front at all? Asking cause usually the stock LX torsion bars cant hold the weight of these trucks without the help of the ahc system.

No it doesn’t really sag in fact it looks great as far as level and quite honestly feels really plush, it’s basically just a big rolling turd going around higher speed cornering and like back to back cornering, so much so I’m my opinion it’s a safety issue (at least that’s how I’m delivering it to wifey 🙄)... Don’t get me wrong I’m not ripping it and I would definitely expect a certain amount of roll but it’s just a little to much for me and lacking in firmness and way over weight in the plushness department for my taste if that makes sense... Quite honestly if it were my wife’s car she’d probably shoot me if I changed anything on it... lucky for me it’s my car tho 😬

So the conclusion is this... I went and bought LC torsion bars and springs and replaced the existing with that. As I was taking the torsion bars off not only were they the stock Lexus torsion bars but I believe they were only three splines difference rather than the recommended 5 splines... that was in my opinion most likely the biggest issue. I replaced the LC parts and some poly bushings on both the sway bars and end links voila as you would expect it’s WAY better, oddly I had a quarter inch more sag in the rear probably due to my 150 pounds of rear drawer system on stock LC coils... Turns out those after market Arnott springs were slightly better than the stock LC ... long story short I just replace the rear springs again with the OME 2866 and the ride is 1.5” higher is now PERFECT!...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom