Need Local Feedback on Sedona Trails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This weekend, The wife, and I are planning a Sedona Weekend Trip, we are coming from the Indio, Palm Desert, CA area. I am really looking forward to it, However, since she is not really into wheeling...(more into rock climbing, mountain biking etc.) we will be doing more walking trail exploration, river walks etc. with maybe a run or two on the mountain bikes....BUT, I made a concession that we were going to run 2 trails...Since Broken Arrow is a must, That takes care of 1, What is the second trail you would recommend...Greasy Spoon, Soldiers Pass (too short?)

Anything else (hidden secrets) I would really like to find a trail with creek crossings....if there is one close by...

Also, since we are pulling in late Fri night...what campground would you recommend...we are set up for primitive camping as well....;)

Cheers....

For sheer scenic beauty and halfway decent primitive camping, Schnebley Hill Rd is cool.
Unless it's pouring down rain or snowing, you won't need 4WD.
But the views into the canyon are amazing.
Plus there are a few side trails that you could hike/bike.
It'll be cold up top, and that's the only area you can camp
I make sure to make at least one weekend trip up there every year. More if I can.

For sheer scenic beauty and halfway decent primitive camping, Schnebley Hill Rd is cool.
Unless it's pouring down rain or snowing, you won't need 4WD.
But the views into the canyon are amazing.
Plus there are a few side trails that you could hike/bike.
It'll be cold up top, and that's the only area you can camp
I make sure to make at least one weekend trip up there every year. More if I can.

Schnebly is closed right now and probably won't reopen until Spring. It gets closed in the Winter

In my opinion......scenery winner is the Pipeline Trail (Greasy Spoon). Those canyon's are fun too!

64983836_qFsJg-O.jpg

64983840_23mWQ-O.jpg

Oak Creek Homestead has a nice ending by Oak Creek. The shelf road is now easy due to Jeep Tours. If you run the Homestead make a loop out of it from West to East.

64979295_ezgLN-O.jpg

64979304_fUYHF-O.jpg

House Mountain offers little challenge though the view from the top is the best in all of Sedona.

143442645_RSYdE-O.jpg

ENJOY!

Shotts you take fantastic photos thanks for posting them....

I was out on the powerline trail south of Sedona last weekend. It was fantastic out there. Really warm during the day (60's-70'S), snow only in the shady areas. At night it got cold, cold really fast. We got our 3 hams out there.

Thanks for the feedback guys, yes Schnebly Rd. is closed right now according to a local website. Bummer, we will have to settle on camping out at one of the state parks. Nice trail picks by the way...I really like the nice ending of Oak Creek Homestead....it will be Oak Creek or Greasy Spoon as my 2nd trail choice, don't think I can do wrong by either one...

Any tips on fishing off Oak Creek? Not that big into fishing but I do have a small tackle box and a couple of fishing poles..I wonder if it is worth taking them...

The camping area ScubaSteve was taliking about is 34*55'01"N, 111*58'56"W. No services, just primative camping.

Here are some pics from last year's pig hunt:
100_0979.jpg

100_0980.jpg

100_0981.jpg

Dave

Any tips on fishing off Oak Creek? Not that big into fishing but I do have a small tackle box and a couple of fishing poles..I wonder if it is worth taking them...

Trout are good in Oak Creek. Most of em are smallish and dumb = farm raised and recently released. Salmon eggs worked for me last time. This was near Manzanita campground:

1365814881_a2583a17e7.jpg

Crawfish are often good too. Though last time I was out, it was after lots of rain, and the bottom was too muddy. Bring a string and some bacon, or a trap.

You can check the fishing report here:
Fishing Report

Make sure sure you have your license, with a trout stamp. ;)

You can have a fire on the forest land now. The danger is low. They only put up fire restrictions during the dry months. Out at my place, you won't have to deal with other people. You are far enough away from civilization to feel isolated yet close enough if there is a problem.

Crawfish are often good too. Though last time I was out, it was after lots of rain, and the bottom was too muddy. Bring a string and some bacon, or a trap.
Be careful you might end up catching BMan using bacon as bait...

Well, we did a liesurely Broken Arrow today and someone was disabled and blocking the steps:mad:. Had to pull a 3-pointer w/ 4 pink jeeps and go out the way we came:frown:

Well, we did a liesurely Broken Arrow today and someone was disabled and blocking the steps:mad:. Had to pull a 3-pointer w/ 4 pink jeeps and go out the way we came:frown:

Pics? Vehicle Type? Details Carl! :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom