Need key for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dunbar

SILVER Star
Threads
My buddy just bought a 1980 FJ40 from a police impound yard and it does not have a key. I know on the FJ62 the code is on the passenger side door lock barrel or something. Does the 40 have a similarly hidden key code? Is there a way to order a key with just the VIN?

The VIN is FJ40318880 if anyone happens to have carfax or if one of our esteemed partspimps feel like looking it up to check history that would be fantastic.

LandPimp can probably tell me what time of the day it was made by the VIN.

Thanks,

Dunbar

Toyota should be able to make a key for it. There should be the key code on the back of the pass side lock cylinder. Just pull it and you'll find it. It might be expensive, though. I have a 73 and Yota told me it would cost $42 or so for a key. Locksmith might be able to do it cheaper.

if you have the code(which should be the same spot as a 62, but I have never looked) the dealer can cut a key, I get mine for free but the most it would be is $5........not $40

VIN won't do any good, its prolly to old to be in the system still.

xjnation said:
Toyota should be able to make a key for it. There should be the key code on the back of the pass side lock cylinder. Just pull it and you'll find it. It might be expensive, though. I have a 73 and Yota told me it would cost $42 or so for a key. Locksmith might be able to do it cheaper.

Dunbar;

the key code on my OEM key (stamped on key) is K4319. I'll bet my 1980-FJ40 would work in your cruiser.

I gave my local locksmith a cylinder and had him make the key.This was for my '81

Ignition cylinder and drivers door lock should have the code, a letter followed by 4 numbers. I have the cut book for the keys, but only if your code shows up (some are not listed?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom