Need input - camping / offroading in two weeks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to go Camping with the girlfriend in two weekends. I’m looking for off road accessible camping trip that isn’t too intense. I don’t want to scare her off the bat.

How far and how hard is it to reach the death valley hot springs?

Any other mountain or desert locations would be much appreciated.
-Randy

Looking to go Camping with the girlfriend in two weekends. I’m looking for off road accessible camping trip that isn’t too intense. I don’t want to scare her off the bat.

How far and how hard is it to reach the death valley hot springs?

Any other mountain or desert locations would be much appreciated.
-Randy

Also consider Mojave Road. Very easy road with beautiful views.

A writeup:
The Mojave Road in the Mojave desert - DesertUSA

Is there a safe section to camp and offroad if only one vehicle went? I don't want to get the gf stuck in the desert. That would show poor judgement. :)

This time of year, I think a much 'safer' bet for showing the GF a nice camping/wheeling trip would be to head down to Anza Borrego State Park. Weather is usually much milder than the high desert. Amenities are nearby if you need them. Wheeling is scenic, challenging only if you make it so.

:cheers:

Thanks for the info Mark. I googled it and there are a lot of beautiful pictures. I might have to postpone any trips this weekend. I got home from SnT and found I was leaking gas. I haven't found the exact location but i'm guessing it's the hard line that connects to the fuel pump under the back of the storage area. I hope it's just the rubber hose connection otherwise it's gonna be a PITA fix.

I am going to sit down with mark and set up a Saline trip for December, I am thinking about heading out there December 10th after work and coming home either on Friday night or early Saturday morning. I have unfortunately Thursday and Friday's off. But if mark wanted to turn the trip in to something longer he could.

Last edited:
I would only be able to join in for the weekend if even possible. Took all my vacation time in the summer unfortunately.

I second the thought about Anza-lots of great places to go, good hikes etc. The Sheep Canyon climb is short and moderately challenging for a bit of excitement.

Death Valley is a great alternative but a lot further. Reaching the hot springs in Saline Valley is no big deal. Other than making sure your spare tire was good, I don't see a large effort getting there, and it's safe to attempt alone via South pass. Coming in from Eureka Dunes via Dedeckera Canyon/Steel Pass is my favorite way in. It has a couple of mildly challenging spots, but I'd do it even if alone.

Other places in DV that would be interesting, like Butte Valley or South Park Canyon are best done with another truck. The South Park Canyon/Pleasant Canyon Loop is outstanding. There is super great remote camping up in South Park itself.

Thanks Drew.

I'll second Andy's recommendation Sheep Canyon via Coyote Canyon just outside of Borrego Springs (read close!). Secluded and nice with a few rock gardens and water crossings to get up there - keeps the rif raf out. Shouldn't scare the GF. Doable solo.

One of my favorite camping spots!

Anyone going out there anytime soon? Wouldn't mind seeing that place. I can go pretty much anytime~ish

I'm in. Lets get a trip together and do a camping weekend. The water crossings look fun.

I am going to sit down with mark and set up a Saline trip for December, I am thinking about heading out there December 10th after work and coming home either on Friday night or early Saturday morning. I have unfortunately Thursday and Friday's off. But if mark wanted to turn the trip in to something longer her could.

Ian,
Who gets to go wheeling on Thurs & fridays? If the trip gets extended thru the weekend I could go, possibly getting there Friday mid day. Didn't get to go there at all this year, a good soak sounds real good right about now.

Hey Tencup, we can leave Friday afternoon and meet up with them if you want to convoy up.

I am in for Borrego or Saline. As long as the plans are all finalized so I can plan accordingly. During week is ok. The benefit of working from home :p

You suck. Wish I had that type of schedule. I'll be fixing my gas leak this weekend. I'm up for camping off roading trip next weeked. Lets get out there.

Joey, are you going to bring the 60 out finally? It's been through so much lately I've onl;y seen it at the meetings in the parking lot.

You suck. Wish I had that type of schedule.

No you don't. When I have a project its 20 hours a day sitting in front of my computer with barely 4 hours of sleep a night. When I don't have a deadline and I can gel then I can galabant about town. :p

Joey, are you going to bring the 60 out finally? It's been through so much lately I've onl;y seen it at the meetings in the parking lot.

Yeah its better off that way right now. I'm sure it would do fine and start and off-road fine but quite frankly I don't trust it yet. It has a vacuum leak coming from the intake manifold. I still have to get it to Mark to help me dial in the carb. Among other things there is still plenty to do to, besides SOA, before I can feel good about taking this thing anywhere far from home.

I'm in for Saline on Thursday the 11th. Will be meeting Dusty 66 at the Hwy 190 turnoff about midday. He will be 'christening' his freshly resto-ed 66fj40, and wouldn't mind having an extra wrench follow him in.

This trip is AWN!

Added bonus! Weekend of the FULL MOON!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom