Need info About BC vehicle inspector

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mar 8, 2010
Surrey BC
Hey Everybody,

I just got my Landcruiser from japan and Its 1988 Bj74. I m waiting for Form number 2 for bc vehicle inspector. What kind things should i watch out for ? Like day time light , adjust the headlight or what kind things should I get it fix to pass bc vehicle inspector

No DRLs required before 1990.

Tires, brakes, glass, reflectors, rear seat belts (or remove seat), lights & headlight (switch to Hella head lamps), batteries (get rid of the Jap units, they are almost always junk), wipers/washers must function etc.

Very easy to get compliance, but find a shop that knows what they are doing.

Check the tires they have to have load range on them to comply even though the tire brands are the same NA tires have load range where JDM usually do not.
everything on your cruiser has to conform to Canadian standards like CSA or SAE markings on all bulbs and hoses and other recognized markings A2 on the windshield,E rated headlights and as mentioned load range on tires with tires there is no Canadian certified marking so American tires have a load range and PSI listed on the side wall which comform to standard.
Some inspectors dont care but if DOT does a road side on you vehicle they will check every little detail on it , these inspeciton outfits are under the microscope after the place in Richmond got shut down for passing cars without inspecting them.
The guy that certifies mine made me change all the rubber brake lines because they did not have CSA stamped on them.
Last edited:
Hey Dieseler

Why do the inspector care about tires ?

because its the tires that keep the vehicle on the road? NA and canada to be more specific has different regulations than the rest of the you have to comply if you want to pass your prov inspection. also, make sure there are not large cracks. small windscreen dings are ok as long as they're not in the sight line, and cracks shorter than .5". ensure ebrake will hold vehicle in gear, all lights (including licence plate light), horns signals work. i remember googling a provincial inspection form..theres a checklist of what they look for. good luck, and lets see some pics of this 74!
wow i didnt expect that Bc inspector will check brake lines !!

It depends on who you use and how thorough they are some outfits will do minimal inspection and some will go over it with a fine tooth comb it is their business licence at stake,as mentioned if DOT does a road side they will see the red inspection sticker on your windshield and do a complete inspection on they dont like RHDs either.
BC adn Alberta are asses when it comes to inspections.
the rest of the country is reasonable and uses common sense... unless you take it to Canadian Tire ripoffs.
Dont use Cdn Tire what ever you do,my guy is in Delta Tilsbury park he mainly works on beemers but has a good grasp of Landcruisers(Turner Automotive) if you do most of the changes it will be cheaper.
Here is my Landcruiser !!
Still waiting for stupid inspector form. It been more than 10 days now !!!

What form?

You get one once the inspection has been completed.

You should have had your form 2 at the same time you got the car back. Did you use a broker? I have always had the forms in hand in about a day... usually before the car is even released from the dock.

Thats why I do all the paper work myself my agent mails me the registartation on the day of loading then I do all the foot work on this end.
I translate all documents to english
Fill out and fax the soil test forms
Declare it at customs and pay the duty
Send the signed shipping copies to the shipping line for release
Pick it up on release at the car docks
Do the required upgrades to pass inspection
Then off to the insurance company to pay the provincial sales tax and get it registered.
Boy thats alot of work maybe I should just use a broker to do it all for me.
I've always left the basic paperwork for a broker to deal with. For the $125 they charge, it's not worth the time/energy/hassle to do it myself.

The insurance side of things is generally really easy, but you have to bring a lot of patience along with you sometimes. Some ICBC agents are really good, and others are pretty hopeless.

When you go to get it insured, you need a bill of sale that is marked "paid", your BC inspection form, your Form 2 and a few other things. Make sure you declare the PST taxable amount as the amount you actually paid for the unit in Japan (should be the same amount you paid GST on - CCRA will have done a Canadian $ conversion for you at their rate - that's the amount you use for PST). You should not be paying the taxes on transportation etc., just the vehicle cost.

i have to agree with John, paying a broker is the simplest quickest, worry free way of dealing with imports.
after 200 vehicles you find your personal time is worth more than a few pennies saved.
in the end, it is your time, your money so how ever you want to handle the paperwork is up to the individual. only once did the vehicle arrive in Calgary before the paperwork and that was a fluke.

cheers and good luck with the rest of the steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom