Need Ideas: Replacing Overhead DVD Player (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some ideas as I am replacing this DVD player which has left a fairly large hole in the headliner. The more creative the better. Only requirement is that I retain lighting of some sort along with the on/off/door functionality.

20160501_170833.jpg

20160501_170929.jpg

Overhead beer dispenser

Overhead beer dispenser
Nice. BTW Go Vandy! Nice series against Georgia this weekend. My cousin is starting at shortstop.

Tablet mount. Or just put another overhead in.

What year LC do you have? I am trying to find a knob off the rear headphone part. Looking for what years they are in.

Last edited:

What year LC do you have? I am trying to find a knob off the rear headphone part. Looking for what years they are in.
2004. My '07 LX had them as well. My 2000 LC & 2002 LX did not.

Funny, I spent all day installing an overhead DVD player in mine. (It had an ancient 6" video screen and a VHS VCR, yowza)

I would have loved to go with the factory dome light, but the hole was too big.

image.jpeg
Made a cover out of thin ply and some cheap headliner material from eBay. Incorporated the OEM light assembly.

iPads rule!

View attachment 1251735 Made a cover out of thin ply and some cheap headliner material from eBay. Incorporated the OEM light assembly.

iPads rule!
Looks like you had the exact same DVD player I do. That option is not a bad one. Need to find a junk yard. Am kicking myself every so often for not purchasing the 2007 I wrecked back from insurance company.

I'm trying to think how I could incorporate a RAM mount or two up there. 3 kids will spend their elementary school years in that backseat. Grandma's have spoiled them with ipads, hmm...

My 03 LX player went out & the dealer wanted $800 just for the player alone. Bought me a 11' HD monitor and a Blu-ray player. Put them in the place of original equipment. My kids love the picture

IMAG1037.jpg

IMAG1035.jpg

i had overhead monitor installed, but my son drove the LC to school one day and parked in a place he was told not to park and they broke in and ripped it out. The insurance replaced the entire headliner without the monitor. I have a dvd player and monitor in my head unit and a dvd player in the console for the rear seats and i have head rest monitors that have covers over them so no one can tell they are in the truck unless they are in use.

My 03 LX player went out & the dealer wanted $800 just for the player alone. Bought me a 11' HD monitor and a Blu-ray player. Put them in the place of original equipment. My kids love the picture

More details on the specific unit you bought and pics of how it looks in place of the factory unit please? Mine won't eject the DVD that the previous owner left in so I'm looking for alternatives over a fix too.

Thanks

I found the 11" HD monitor on eBay for $120. Make sure it has an hdmi port. & ordered my Blu-ray player from sonic electronics for $250. Got a 10' hdmi cable. Ordered a FM modulator. 10' rca cables. Once you pull the rear passenger side panel off. Power supply is there.

hadn't thought about that. we bought our 100 last fall, and it has an overhead DVD, but the sound is wired through the stereo. i don't want to listen to cartoons for 4+ hours on a ride (my GX has IR headphones which is awesome b/c i can listen to what i want on the stereo). so i've been looking at DVD players to replace the one that is in there now.

this one looks like a pretty nice option, but it's priced (~$225) about $100 more than a decent DVD/LCD setup. will still probably give it a go since the ability to load a TON of media on there, and add a bluetooth game controller as well is a nice little feature.

Wow, the timing of this thread is impeccable. I was just about to make an identical post about the identical overhead unit in my wife's 100. I'd like delete it, but don't want to replace the headliner.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I have a Sequioa that has hole where the DVD used to be. I'm interested in how cover it up also. I can't find a dome light cover big enough.

My previous rig had a DVD player. For the 100 I'm using a lenova tablet that was sitting around. Bought a tablet stand and planning to get infrared transmitter for the headphones we currently have. I down load movies for free and the kids watch on the go. No bs-ing with discs. Google android download free movies with Firefox. There's a couple YouTube vids on it. The kids can also take tablet to the tent and else where. Better than just a overhead setup imo.

Kindle fire kids edition. Comes with two year no questions warranty. Also, really thick rubber case. Kids dropped it million times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom