need ideas on project, drip pans for hood louvers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so this weekend I got my hood louvers delivered and picked up a couple sheets of thin aluminum to fab some drip pans for the louvers. I made the pans and will be posting pictures but for now I need ideas for drains. I would like to run hoses so the water is diverted away from electronics. what I need is something somewhat low profile that will accept 1/4" tube and mounts flat and the tube comes out at a 90* angle. I'm thinking about running the hoses between the insulator and hood (if I can). if any of that makes sense... when I post pics youll see what I'm talking about

rodlouvers. 5"x7"

I'm looking for something like whats being put out with the turbo kit but smaller but I'm at a loss... I found some plastic hatch drains but kinda worried about them becoming brittle with the engine heat and the summers here.
I jacked this pic from the turbo thread...

AFD1727A-E0CB-4A7F-AA55-2EC84F80B04B_jpeg.jpg

Maybe i'm not understanding this right but -

You want to make a sheet that sits under the louver, with a drain that will route all the water away from the engine.

Wouldn't placing an aluminum tray that covered the entire louver opening defeat the point of the louver?

Most guys i know with louvers in their hoods don't have drip pans.

Maybe i'm not understanding this right but -

You want to make a sheet that sits under the louver, with a drain that will route all the water away from the engine.

Wouldn't placing an aluminum tray that covered the entire louver opening defeat the point of the louver?

Most guys i know with louvers in their hoods don't have drip pans.
when i post a picture youll understand. it will catch water while letting heat out. the sides hang down 1 inch, with the front and back having a half an inch gap just under the louvers leaving a pan a half inch deep for water...

when i post a picture youll understand. it will catch water while letting heat out. the sides hang down 1 inch, with the front and back having a half an inch gap just under the louvers leaving a pan a half inch deep for water...
Hmm seems like you'd still be blocking a lot of its cooling capacity.
As far as drains you may be able to use some sort of pneumatic fittings for like an air compressor. I've seen brass barbs that 90 and have a threaded lock ring to attach to the pan. I'd honestly wander through an Ace or home depot and bet you'd find something.

i wanted the inside lip as small as possible so theres no standing water. granted with driving there probably wont be too much but when its in the rain and i hop in and drive off, it doesn't slosh out... when i get home ill take a couple pics and post them.

as far as air flow, i think it will be ok. after a few Arizona summers without it, it'll be better than it is now. i also have an idea for an option of closing them off all together but i havnt designed it yet.

Ive never had any issues with the louvers and we get weather, seems like @Wompom is right the pan would efeat the louver.

If it's a detached pan the air will still find its way out. The only thing that can't really be predicted is how the water will act. Driving down the road and the air moving around, the water probably won't drain smoothly where you want it to. I would just try to put the pan where it would divert the water off to the side where it is off of the engine or any electric components

If it's a detached pan the air will still find its way out. The only thing that can't really be predicted is how the water will act. Driving down the road and the air moving around, the water probably won't drain smoothly where you want it to. I would just try to put the pan where it would divert the water off to the side where it is off of the engine or any electric components
thats exactly what I want to do. I want the drains there for when its parked, to divert it where I want it to go. I'm not worried when its moving... theres plenty of space for air flow, maybe you cant really see it in the pictures and I can add spacers. theres a reason why they design all stock hood vents with pans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom