Need ideas on how to refinish and reattach to my FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright team. I need some ideas on how to refinish my mud flaps so that I get a clean attachment to the body. The inside of all four of the flaps, as you can tell from the pictures below, are rusted and eaten away. How would you clean the inner grooves so that I could re-attach these?

IMG-1020.jpg

IMG-1021.jpg

IMG-1022.jpg

IMG-1023.jpg

i used a wire wheel on a drill to clean the metal. and a dremel to get in the little grooves. 0000 steel wool and simple green to take the oxidized rubber off and clean it really well. Then clear coat the metal pieces to prevent future rust. gloss white paint pen to make the letters pop. Turned out pretty good on mine.

IMG_6073.jpg

i was considering a black adhesive/RTV to make it seal along the fender but didn't need it. I got all new plastic pieces from SOR and placed them in the fender holes and it held really nice and tight, close to the fender with no gaps. those pieces are pretty cheap and make it fit way better.

once attached if there's gaps you could tape it off and use black Polyurethane Sealant .
Was about to do the same to my 70 series.
I am going to use a flexible sandible product. sikaflex 291 black for example.

Last edited:
My Sixty had three of them. The metal was completely rusted to crumbs. I'm glad to see yours are salvageable.

i was considering a black adhesive/RTV to make it seal along the fender but didn't need it. I got all new plastic pieces from SOR and placed them in the fender holes and it held really nice and tight, close to the fender with no gaps. those pieces are pretty cheap and make it fit way better.
What plastic pieces are you referring to? Do you have a part # from SOR? Thanks!

114-122A, 114-121A. You need different amounts of each. one of them is round and pops into the square opening in the fender. one of them has a straight edge on one side and round on other side. Take a look at how yours are attached and you can figure out how many you need. For about 15-20 bucks you can replace them all and it will fit much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom