Need Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I need some help. 92 w/176000. About every 4th time when starting the truck it will stall after cranking over a few times. It makes a bang sound, kind of like a back fire :doh:and then quits turning over with the key in the start position. It started doing this a few months ago and I thought it had something to do with the starter. Well I don't think so because I just had it rebuilt and I put it back in 3 weeks ago with no change. Except for the fact that it cranks over much faster now :D

Any ideas?

Brian

have you regapped the valves recently? had some back fire at start up when cold and reset the valves, changed the plugs and rotor and havent had it since. first thing that comes to mind let me dwell on it a little longer.
Dave

I'd think ignition. Shoulds like an advanced spark. What's the age and staus of your system, any aftermarket stuff in there? The reason I ask is I've seen bad wires allow the voltage from the coil to jump to another wire and hit the wrong plug.

Plug wires 3 months OEM
NGK Plugs 3 months OEM
Cap 1.5 years 15,000 miles OEM
Rotor 1.5 years 15,000 miles OEM

The valves have not been adjusted since I bought the truck. Not sure if the previous owner did it either. It does have a little click click going on but told to just drive it.

Brian

I think Cruiserman nailed it....9 dollar fix. :beer:

the EFI relay is the easiest one to cure, plus it should be done anyways. so I would start there and if that doesnt cure it do the valves. BTW the valves are slated to be done every 20k so thats once a year in mine. 178k and counting.
Dave

Do I just replace the relay? I did'nt see anything under tech. Some direction would be great.

thanks guys,

Brian

email c-dan, get a few relays.

open your fuse box in the engine compartment...DS by the blower.

TheEFI Relay is the inside of the forwardmost two relays if I recall correctly...

Just unplug the one you have, plug in new....shazam.

Literally less than 10 bucks and is a very common issue in the 91/92 crowd.

The wire upgrade (going to 10 gauge in the fuse box) is a little more involved and will prolong the time between failures...but they will still fail. I know of two people that haven't had failures post wiring...but they are low mileage drivers.

I plan on doing the wiring upgrade once I get a little spare time...until then I just have 2-3 relays in my glovebox.

Edit with LCOOL info on this issue:

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/efi_relay.html

200,000+ not one EFI fuse issue

knocking on wood(y)

You don't have the issue because you don't have the heat issues....

I pop relays in the heat of the summer and never had a single issue in the winter.

The issue is that the 12 gauge wire wasn't large enough to handle the load so it builds up resistance and heats up...which ends up popping the relay.

If you live in Washington or other mild climate (or extreme on the cold end) you shouldn't see this issue very frequently if at all.

Can someone explain to me why this relay causes my problem. And also why do I only have this happening every few start ups. By the way, I live in MN and have had this problem in both 95+ days and now 15 degree days.

Brian

We are saying you should try it because....$9 is too cheap to rule out something that could be a compounding issue to your problem or even part of it.

The EFI relay controls...Electronic Fuel Injection. If you get no ignition, stalls, etc guess what is a very likely cause?

I have had relays cause a failure at 80 mph on the highway, it would turn over immediately, then stall.

Wait a while...starts. Intermittent stalls...no cranking....sound familiar?

give it a try for $9 and 15 minutes...it is a known issue with our years.

Well, I replaced the relay last night. The dealer actually had three in stock. When I called them the guy told me $15.90 but when I got there it showed $14.25 on the screen and thats what I paid. Now I know why there called the car stealer :mad: No stalling yet. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again,

Brian

Yeah I know. I just had that need it now feeling. Plus, I don't like people looking at me funny when my truck makes that big bang sound in the parking lot :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom