Need Help - Would you buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

New to Land cruisers and looking to pick up an 80. I came across a 94 with 330,000 miles, locked, and pretty clean. paint is in amazing shape, runs good however the leather is in rough shape. Seller is asking $7,000. I feel this is a little high with the millage however I'm reaching out to the experts. Let me know if I should just stay away due to the millage alone. i would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

It looks pretty good in the pics. Find out if they have any maintenance records. It’s a 26 year old truck that looks like it hasn’t been abused. If you have to rebuild the engine at some point (figure $5kish for that) you’d have an awesome truck for $12k. There is definitely an over landing tax on 80’s now.

compared to most cruisers the interior is in pretty good shape. Also, grey interior parts are pretty easy to find compared to tan if I'm not mistaken. I'd pay 5-6k personally

No issues and no rust? I would buy it all day long at $7k.

Hi guys,

New to Land cruisers and looking to pick up an 80. I came across a 94 with 330,000 miles, locked, and pretty clean. paint is in amazing shape, runs good however the leather is in rough shape. Seller is asking $7,000. I feel this is a little high with the millage however I'm reaching out to the experts. Let me know if I should just stay away due to the millage alone. i would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Buy it before I do. ;)

Agree with buy it as long as it doesn't have rust and is as described without mechanical issues.

There are options for reconditioning/improving the look of the leather and if it's not too far gone you may be able to get more years out of it after you or a pro works them over.

300k does put you closer to the one-day larger mech. rebuild items but if the truck has been well maintained and is running well now you probably have years of service before you need to do much beyond maintenance.

Thanks All! Makes me want to buy it just to be in the group. I appreciate all the replies. Ill keep you posted. I’m going to go give it a drive.

Yes. But I have issues.

Thanks All! Makes me want to buy it just to be in the group. I appreciate all the replies. Ill keep you posted. I’m going to go give it a drive.

Go buy it, you can join the East Bay Cruiser crowd.....

Agreed with general message of comments above. 7K is high for red. Even if red is your go to color, red and greens usually sell for a bit lower than the greys and whites. (At least in the TX market, cali maybe different).

Be sure to get photos of engine bay and underside of frame and axles before you show up. If everything "checks out", I would offer $5,750.

you guys sound like tarot card readers with this whole color theory.

"ya see if the sun rises on a wednesday, but you show up to buy it on a thursday and it's a clear night, and the sun is setting, and the hue of the sky is more purple than blue one must not buy it for the price that they are asking because the sun is setting and it's not yellow enough to be the right hue"

if the rig is right for the price you like, get the darn thing.

No issues and no rust? I would buy it all day long at $7k.
LOL
You're the seller!

Or it looks like it anyway.

Too much for a burgundy 94 with over 300k in my opinion.

That would be incorrect, Sir. Yes, burgundy is a subtract money color. However, the gray interior offsets that somewhat.

Consider this, it’s a California car, which usually equals no rust, and usually high mileage because of the lack of mass transit and everything being so far.

Interior and exterior is in good shape. It has a clean title, passed smog in the worst state in the Union for that sort of thing.

It also INCLUDES A SKATEBOARD and grill guard which you can sell.

It’s probably already sold.

$7k is too high for that mileage. Ask if the head gasket has been rebuilt. At that mileage you're gonna have to replace just about every hose. Also look at anything plastic under the hood to see if they're turning yellow which means they need to be replaced. Check out the knuckles to see if they're leaking real badly. Open every door and look at every crevise for rust. Then check for oil leaks. I bought my 97 LX with 250k for $5500. Doesn't have lockers but these trucks don't sell more because they have lockers.

Last edited:
these trucks don't sell more because they have lockers.

Sounds like @ItsBavid got a good deal but prices and experiences vary sale to sale and in different regions and I'd guess that $5k in TX may roughly equal $7k in N. Cal... Additionally, from what I've seen having factory lockers does bump up the value of an 80 $1k to $2k roughly. In any case prices have been bumping up on 80s pretty quickly lately from the little that I've followed the market. If that paint is as clean as it looks I'd value that as much as the other factors being thrown around, except for any rust, as paint is expensive to get right.

My opinion though is that a few thousand either way doesn't matter much with one of these in the long run. First off it will be a small part of your total spend after purchase, baselining, maintenance and upgrades. Perhaps more importantly most will enjoy their 80s so much and keep them for so long that a few $k will spread to a small amount per month or year over the period of ownership :)

Its supply and demand and there is NOT a lot of supply of clean locked Cruisers. I would say lockers add more like $3-4k on a Cruiser and even more the nicer the Cruiser. How many other locked Cruisers are you interested in and looking at? I'm guessing none. That truck will sell for $7k if its decent, I guarantee it. I get it there is always somebody who bought their 97 with 130k miles locked with extensive maintenance records for $4k, but that is not the norm and they are probably lying. Those are also the people who say they would never spend more than $5k for a clean well cared for locked Cruiser blah blah blah. $7k for a locked cruiser and dump another $5-6k into it is cheap for what these trucks are capable of and how much fun they are. Take $12k to a used car lot and what can you get? Nothing cool and nothing good, maybe a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. I'm not trying to bash or hate, I'm just trying to let the OP know that some views aren't realistic and if you let too many good deals go by you will kick yourself.

you guys sound like tarot card readers with this whole color theory.

"ya see if the sun rises on a wednesday, but you show up to buy it on a thursday and it's a clear night, and the sun is setting, and the hue of the sky is more purple than blue one must not buy it for the price that they are asking because the sun is setting and it's not yellow enough to be the right hue"

if the rig is right for the price you like, get the darn thing.
Is the moon waxing or waning in this scenario? :hmm:

Seriously, what is the big deal with the red and green trucks beyond the fact that they have a tendency to have paint issues with clear coat peeling and fading? I mean, if the paint looks good, who really cares? It's a 26 year old truck. We aren't sitting in the dealership with our sweetie, getting everything ordered just the way we want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom