Need help. Won’t crank. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I’ve pulled a super boneheaded maneuver and left myself stranded. I went to jump another car and hooked the damn cables up backwards. 47 years old and probably 100 jump starts and have never managed to do that. 😥

Anyway, my 93 kept running after the spark show and I figured it had made it through ok so I drove it home and all seemed well. Then I went to start it this morning and no cranky. I tried replacing the fusible link but I’m afraid I toasted something on the starter. Everything else seems to be working (lights, dash, fan, etc) but there is no crank - not even a click.

I’ve tried researching but haven’t come up with anything. Would really appreciate some suggestions. We were planning on loading up this morning and making a long weekend of it but everything is on hold until I can get this sorted out.

Thanks!

Have you worked through this?

Is the Check Engine Light on when you first turn the key to RUN?

Have you checked/ replaced both fusible links? You mentioned one, but the FSM shows two. Another trouble spot may be a burnt or damaged neutral safety switch (PRNDL switch). Are you getting power down to the starter? Or to the solenoid? That knowledge may also help you narrow which side of the wiring there is an open in. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Maybe try and hotwire the starter just to knock that out. If it works you at least wont be without wheels in a pinch.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Where is the second fusible link? I replaced the one right beside the positive terminal.

Well actually there are 3!

Look at the pic in post #8...https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/another-toyota-wiring-debacle-from-main-battery.583827/#post-7534604

Or here is another pic from wits end...

Hope this helps you!

Look at the pic in post #8...https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/another-toyota-wiring-debacle-from-main-battery.583827/#post-7534604

Hope this helps you!

So I replaced that entire part this morning with one I had actually ordered from Wit’s End as a spare. I had to remove one lead from the battery and two more from that little black box. Is there another one of those assemblies some where else that I’m missing?

We ended up taking the wife’s car with her telling me the whole time that my cruiser is a waste of time and money. 😥 A beautiful start to the weekend...

Anyway. I’ll dig into it again on Monday when we get back.

Appreciate any other suggestions.

...We ended up taking the wife’s car with her telling me the whole time that my cruiser is a waste of time and money. 😥
Appreciate any other suggestions...

When I occasionally get that line of thinking presented to me, I calmly remind my wife that the total $$$ invested in my DD cruiser (purchase price and all repairs after 4 years) is still less than 1/2 of what her car cost new. Working on the cruiser is my mental therapy and I can think of a lot worse ways to spend my money trying to achieve that 🙂.

My working on cars and trucks is my therapy.

Some guys play golf and have multiple sets of clubs in the closet.

I don't play golf and my multiple sets of "clubs" are in the driveway......

Vehicles break. And as you stated obviously in the first post, this wasn't even your 80's fault. Technically it was yours. haha. (I've been there too...) But it's just part of owning anything made by man. It'll need fixing eventually. The law of entropy makes sure of that. Have you done any voltage checks at the starter when the key is in the "start" position? That'll be very helpful. Oh and enjoy your weekend! Happy Memorial Day!

I appreciate the moral support! I bought the 93 for $4000 almost exactly a year ago. I’ve put maybe another $1500 into it - so it has been far from a major investment as cars go these days. It has also been my daily driver most of that time and has never let me down.

This is the first time it hasn’t been ready when I’ve needed it and it is entirely my fault.

I’m going to get this issue fixed and then it’s going in the garage for some much needed preventative maintenance.

I’ll post back here when I get it sorted out.

Happy Memorial Day to all of you!

Hope this helps you!
There is only 1 FL with 3 wires

I believe the battery is fine. All the accessories (lights, ac/heat blower) turn on and seem strong.

There is zero noise when I try to crank it. No clicking like you get when the battery is low or there is a bad terminal connection.

Ok. Well I’ve replaced that. Will triple check it when I get back and then look at starter and possibly the neutral switch.

Now that you have a fresh fusible link, does you check engine light come on? This will show power to the ECU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom