Need help with transmission and transfer case options in an already 350 swapped fj40 with the original 3 speed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just messaged him. Someone else messaged before me but we will see! Thanks

If you look at the transmission shifter can see it's been bend to clear the heater. I don't run run a V8 in any of my 40 series. If I did I would switch the top cover from a FJ60 with the one this transmission. It would move the shifter back to where it would be with a F/2F. Would also switch the transfer shift linkage from a early FJ60. Would require changing hi low shift lever on the T case. The one being sold is the earlier style from a 74 or early 75.

If you look at the transmission shifter can see it's been bend to clear the heater. I don't run run a V8 in any of my 40 series. If I did I would switch the top cover from a FJ60 with the one this transmission. It would move the shifter back to where it would be with a F/2F. Would also switch the transfer shift linkage from a early FJ60. Would require changing hi low shift lever on the T case. The one being sold is the earlier style from a 74 or early 75.
Could you elaborate on why you would change the linkages and the shifter?

When a V8 is installed in an FJ40 it sits moves the transmission forward. The shifters are close to the heater and generally get bent for clearance. Can see the one for sale has been bent. A 60 series top cover the shifter is further back. The transfer shifter is bend so it further back using the same mounting points. If a FJ40 with a four speed had an engine transplant to a V8 would switch to a 60 series top cover could position the engine so the transmission shifter would be in the original location.

When a V8 is installed in an FJ40 it sits moves the transmission forward. The shifters are close to the heater and generally get bent for clearance. Can see the one for sale has been bent. A 60 series top cover the shifter is further back. The transfer shifter is bend so it further back using the same mounting points. If a FJ40 with a four speed had an engine transplant to a V8 would switch to a 60 series top cover could position the engine so the transmission shifter would be in the original location.
Im sorry, I meant the transfer case shifter. Thanks for the information!

Im sorry, I meant the transfer case shifter. Thanks for the information!

The transfer shifter uses the same mounting points for 40 and 60 series. Because the transmission shifter is further back on the 60 series the transfer shift lever is bent to be further as well. Will not be as far back as the transmission but better than the 40 series.

I also have an AA bellhouing for SBC to H42 and a H42 if you would be interested. No transfer case, though.

If you run that AA 712532 bellhousing, Downey sells a clutch and pressure plate that work very well with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom