Need help with tire size on FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I just bought a september 1976 (considered 1977) FJ40 and the tires on her now are dry rotted and was looking to get a new set. I was wondering the best size, brand, etc. It looks like there isn't a lift kit on the truck now and I am hoping to avoid buying one when I get new tires. Once I fix her up I would like her to be a daily driver so I don't know if the type of tire (offroad or regular) will affect that. I do also think an offroad tire looks good with the truck since it is made for offroading. I'm kind of new to the FJ40 world and advice on fixing her up would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. (I attached some pictures of the tires and wheel wells)

DSC_0646.JPG

DSC_0647.JPG

DSC_0648.JPG

DSC_0649.JPG

DSC_0650.JPG

Welcome to Mud. Nice truck!

The BFG AT (which is what you have) Is a good all around choice imho. There are as many different opinions as truck owners out there so search is your friend. As for size, a 31" tire will fit for sure. I have always run 33"s on my LC and wouldnt change a thing despite the occasional rub. 235/85/16 is a nice size as well if you have 16" rims.

to get you started:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/search/2036401/?q=tire+size&o=relevance

Good luck!

Welcome to Mud. Nice truck!

The BFG AT (which is what you have) Is a good all around choice imho. There are as many different opinions as truck owners out there so search is your friend. As for size, a 31" tire will fit for sure. I have always run 33"s on my LC and wouldnt change a thing despite the occasional rub. 235/85/16 is a nice size as well if you have 16" rims.

to get you started:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/search/2036401/?q=tire+size&o=relevance

Good luck!
Thanks so much for the post. The tires I have now are 235/75/15. I was wondering when the 33" tires rub and how bad of a problem that is. Thanks!

Your stock wheels are only 5.5" wide and 15" in diameter. A 31x10.5-15 will be recommended to have an 8" wide wheel. Many have gotten 10.5" tires mounted on the stock wheels but some tire shops might refuse to mount on such a skinny wheel. Just so you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom