Need Help with Rear Shock Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! I just bought my first cruiser. Its a 88 fj 62. Road salt and wrong shocks busted the rear tube shock mount. I ordered a new one, but am trying to figure out how to remove what is left of one and install the new one. Any one have any suggestions?

I was unaware that you could buy a new one. I had a local race shop make mine. They just cut the old one right out. Where did you get yours?

Well Im in the same boat, just figured out what was doing the rattling inderneath, the darn rear shock mount decided it was going to come off completely and rest in the underside. Now I gottat cut it and put something else in its place, any suggestions.

a tube with 2 shock mounts on it :D

I will help ya weld one up. I will make a new one for my rig at the same time but modified to run a limiting strap. :beer:

My neighbor had the same problem. He ordered a used shock mount from cruiserparts.com or.net (can't remeber). When it came it looked like they had just waited for it to rust off of whatever it was on last. It turned out to be long enough though and I ground/cut the remains of the old one out and welded in the new one in. Pretty easy job except gettig all the other crap out of the way so I could get at it with the grinder. Oh yeah when welding watch out for the fuel lines. I pulled them a few days before I went at it so there wasen't any gas around when it came time to let the sparks fly!

I got a used shock mount from cruiseparts.com. Mine came with the small remains of a sacrificial 62 still attached.

Bahndo...did you grind all of the welds off and insert the new mount through the frame or did you take it down to the mounting caller? If you have pics or details, please email them.

I had mine break and the shop that fixed it used a shock mount tube for a '34 Ford Street Rod. It fit perfectly! I'm getting a new frame in two weeks so it'll all be trash then.

My upper(frame) rear shock mount cross member rusted out and I replaced with a 2" piece of tubing.Carefully drill out the old one(a two inch hole saw worked for me).Slide the new one into place and weld it in.Don't forget to drill/sleeve holes for shock mounts.For my long travel shocks I made a extension bracket to put the shock eyes up higher than the crossmember and this works well.The bracket bolts to the shock mount holes.

I have the same issue on my 88'.
Let me know what you finally went with. I have some motorhead friends that are good with the torch, I'm thinking we'll just cut the old one out and weld a new one in. There are some bends in there too. I assume the crossmember travels INTO the frame as well??
It will probably be a major project and an opportunity to address some other cancer underneath.
Good Luck-

A word of advice to those wo don't have the opportunity of getting a new frame. When welding on the shock mounts weld them right through the tube not just to the face of the tube. I had to do mine several times to make them hold.
Fortunately my current frame will have at least 30 YEARS before this problem occurs again! The new frame is probably better than the original was when I bought the truck in '88!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom