Need Help with Possible Seized 3B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trying not to laugh too much. How long is this saga of inaction going to continue? But great pics. Hoping for some active investigation, to reveal at least one of the contributing suggestions. Cheers. 11B parts on offer in Australia.

Finally got the engine out. Had to bring to friend's garage. Took off front cover and center gear. Everything looks beautiful. Put bar back on crank and engine still won't turn by hand. Gotta be a cylinder. Head comes off tomorrow and we'll see what or where the damage is. Guess I'll be rebuilding the motor this winter. Maybe I should just buy another. Anybody got a running or rebuilt 3B for sale? Preferrably in eastern Canada.
20210803_171021.jpg

So the mystery is solved. #1 crank brg destroyed. Along with crank. Friend thinks oil pump failed and the brg dried up. Then chewed up crank.
20210805_171218.jpg
20210805_171419.jpg

I'm going to order a new oil pump, brgs and piston rings. The head and everything else is beautiful. My question for the experts is "Should I turn the crank or get a new one"? Logic says get a new/old unmachined crank. But maybe their are guys with long running machined 3B cranks out there. All suggestions would be appreciated.

Oil pump is driven by the crank. Situation would have to have been pretty bad for the oil pump to fail and the edic would have shut it down with low oil pressure unless bypassed.

Make sure supply oil passage are clear of any debris. I guess under size bearing Taiho are still available? Must be some good shop in your area which may even repair it to standard size?
oil pump drive spline get really worn sometime.
May have a look at the oil pump relief valve.
Sorry..
Thanks for update

Make sure supply oil passage are clear of any debris. I guess under size bearing Taiho are still available? Must be some good shop in your area which may even repair it to standard size?
oil pump drive spline get really worn sometime.
May have a look at the oil pump relief valve.
Sorry..
Thanks for update
Thank you, those are good points. The oil pickup seemed ok after a quick look. But I will check all oil passsages during rebuild. Going to shop for a crank tomorrow. A friend gave me the name of a machine shop that I will also call.

Wanna keep my 3B. 🔧 Going to bring it to the machine shop this week. They will measure how much they have to take off the crank. Hopefully it is salvageable.

I recently had main bearing seizure in my 3B. Snapped the bearing cap bolts and through the cap through the side of the block. The crank cleaned up fine with just a polishing, no grinding required. There a was a bunch of bearing material fused to the crank. I wouldn't be surprised if a shop can clean yours up with a polishing.

I recently had main bearing seizure in my 3B. Snapped the bearing cap bolts and through the cap through the side of the block. The crank cleaned up fine with just a polishing, no grinding required. There a was a bunch of bearing material fused to the crank. I wouldn't be surprised if a shop can clean yours up with a polishing.
That's crazy. Glad you could save the crank. I have the same fused brg material. But that brg is already at .050. So the crank was previously machined. Didn't know that when I bought the truck. :mad: Anyways, I brought the engine to the rebuilder yesterday and they'll check everything.

There have been a few 3B crank issues reported this year here in the forum. I wonder if this is normal or something is changing with modern oil formulations that are leading to bearing failures?

I think the truck sat for a long time. So when the PO fired it up, some corrosion or something in the 1000 year old filter broke free. Just guessing. I changed the oil and filter in the first few days of ownership. I drove for about 6 months then wham - it seized one morning. I used this generic stuff
20210812_101023.jpg
20210812_101033.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom