1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help with Parking Brake

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by MJM, Aug 28, 2006.

1. MJM

MJM SILVER Star

I do not have the FSM for my 60 and have used my 40 manuals untill now. I am looking for a layout of the FJ60 Drivers side rear brake drum assemble. I have the drum off and need to find out why my parking brake is sticking on that side only. If you engadge it (pull the cable) it will stay that way untill you hit it on the bake side and force it bake. The pass. side is fine. Any tips or help would great. Is there any one part that fails or is it just a matter of lube.

Thanks
    MJM

2. Tinker

Tinker

The bellcrank is usually the culprit. Pull the passenger drum off so you have a ready schematic & take the driver's side apart. You don't need the FSM if you've ever replaced brake shoes. The bellcrank looks like a fat "L" & pivots on a removable pin. I sanded my bellcranks down to remove the corrosion, filed out the slots they run in, & greased them with heavy synthetic. Now my rear brakes & my park brake work.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  3. seanzy1105

seanzy1105

Media:
    Albums:
    the same f'in thing is wrong with mine, i put the transmission in reverse wen parking so it doesnt matter its just nice to have a parking break :confused:

4. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

The older trucks have a stainless sleeve in the bellcrank pivot. Corrosion builds up on the pivot and it jams the bellcrank.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">