Need help with my new Cruiser!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all and WAR EAGLE!!!

I recently purchased a '97 LC (34k miles, verified by 5 different Toyota mechanics as one of the top 2-3 they have ever seen).

Here's the problem. I love the truck but the gas mileage SUX!!!

What can I do to help get the mileage up? I've considered a computer chip, but have no clue if it's worth the money or will even work.

This is my first LC and I've wanted one for many years. i hope to drive it until the sun burns out but not a $3/gallon.

HELP!!!

AU Kruzr said:
Here's the problem. [ ... ] the gas mileage SUX!!!

What can I do to help get the mileage up?

There is nothing you can do so sell me the truck for $5,000 (if it has lockers) and get yourself a used Honda Element.

:flipoff2:

-B-

almost double the offer

Beowulf said:
There is nothing you can do so sell me the truck for $5,000 and get yourself a Honda Element.

:flipoff2:

-B-

I'll trade you my wifes aztek.

Easy on the neophyte now... i worked long and hard to find my new baby. Now, being a wheelng and dealing type of guy you can multiply that $5k by 7 and she's yours.....

NOT!

Really, will the chip help? K&N filter? Snorkel (or some other ram air set-up)? Plugs & wires???

I'll trade you my wife's element. Seriously, there isn't much you can do beyond making sure it is in good tune, keep tires inflated to theupper range, ???, that's about it. Either get used to it or sell it :D

AU- what kind of mileage are you seeing? I get around 13-15MPG city/highway and that is in the normal range. There isn't anything you can do to get a significant mileage increase from those numbers without a diesel swap or something. Where on earth did you find such a low-miles 80? Post some pics!

AU Kruzr said:
Easy on the neophyte now... i worked long and hard to find my new baby. Now, being a wheelng and dealing type of guy you can multiply that $5k by 7 and she's yours.....

NOT!

Really, will the chip help? K&N filter? Snorkel (or some other ram air set-up)? Plugs & wires???
I predict no significant mpg or power gains with those mods, K&N will let more dirt into your engine, the stock plugs/wires are good, I have only heard of JET for chips, I wouldn't expect much from that...

I looked for about 5 years online all over the country. I finally found this one less than 15 miles from my home. The orignal owner bought it off the show room floor in '97, drove it home and used it for the last 8 years as his "Auburn road trip truck". He is a '56 Auburn grad and his wife '57. They would drive it to AU every Saturday for game day and park it in the garage (after a warm bath and hand carnuba wax) for the rest of the week.
I liteally could have eaten off the bottom of it it was sooooo freakin clean!!!!

Of course I had to take it out and give it some battle scars so I took my son to Gray Rock and got it dirty,,, and stuck.

I dont have a digital camera so I can't post pics yet, but will soon.

It's black on black w/brown interior and wood grain. The carpet looks like it's never been stepped on.

AU Kruzr said:
Now, being a wheelng and dealing type of guy you can multiply that $5k by 7 and she's yours.....

Hmmmm. $35,000 if I did the math right?

We have a DEAL.

I will send you a cashier's check for $50,000 and you send me a cashier's check for $15,000 as soon as my check clears. This "little extra" will help cover the shipping costs which can only be paid in US American dollars. Then I'll send a guy to pick up the Cruiser. His name will be Guido... you'll know him when you see him.

Please send me your mailing address, a day time phone number, all of your bank account numbers, your date of birth, mother's maiden name, and your Social Security number.

Thanks,
-B-

Beowulf, don't you need my drivers license # also?

HAHAHAHA!!!

I think Im going to like it here...

Does it have lockers?
Cheers and welcome,
Sean

Problem with fuel economy?

Drive downhill. Drive with the wind.

Don't add a heavy front bumper. Don't add a heavy rear bumper. Don't add a lift. Don't get larger tires.

Combine all this and your mileage will be great...or a large brick on wheels pushing a lot of wind around.

If you looked for 5 years and didn't think about mileage...umm...sorry. As some on here have said, you can't have it all. Gas mileage and prices are a part of life. I refuse to give up my truck for an economy job just to save $20 at the fuel pump.

So learn to live...

AU Kruzr said:
I looked for about 5 years online all over the country. I finally found this one less than 15 miles from my home. The orignal owner bought it off the show room floor in '97, drove it home and used it for the last 8 years as his "Auburn road trip truck". He is a '56 Auburn grad and his wife '57. They would drive it to AU every Saturday for game day and park it in the garage (after a warm bath and hand carnuba wax) for the rest of the week.
I liteally could have eaten off the bottom of it it was sooooo freakin clean!!!!

Of course I had to take it out and give it some battle scars so I took my son to Gray Rock and got it dirty,,, and stuck.

I dont have a digital camera so I can't post pics yet, but will soon.

It's black on black w/brown interior and wood grain. The carpet looks like it's never been stepped on.

If its that clean and low mileage, put it on e-bay and buy one with the proceeds with higher mileage to tear apart on the trails. You will have plenty of funds for mods and gas.

BTW War Damn Eagle.

AU Kruzr said:
Beowulf, don't you need my drivers license # also?

Yes, that too.

AU Kruzr said:
I think Im going to like it here...

Not so fast newbie. We've been known to eat our young if they get too cocky.

-B-

Since they are Auburn grads you may want to check to make sure they did not try to "feed" their Cruiser by stuffing grass in the gas tank. This could have a negative effect on your gas mileage...

Ok, What did you have to give for it? Sounds like a real nice truck.

You dog.

34,000 miles! I hate you.

Fuel mileage is not (and never will be).. very good with these vehicles.

I suggest you raffle it off here on "MUD" and let someone else suffer.

Sheeeesh.......34 K miles, (in my dreams).

You have to hook us up with some pics, like a shot of the inside, underneath, and full body shots. Also tells us if it has lockers and how much you paid for it. I've never seen a cruiser so new, have always been curious to see what it looks like with that kind of mileage.

If you do the math and compare the cost difference between 15 mpg to 22 mpg with the total of all other annual costs you will find that the extra gas cost is not as significant as you may think. ALSO I have a few old smaller cars for shopping and picking up the kids and I keep the cruiser for off-road, camping and for when the other cars are unavailable. Keeping the miles down will also help you maintain its value. On a long trip I get 17 mpg and off-road it still uses less gas than my CJ5.

Alternatively it would use little gas if you set it up with one of these that you can get from Toyota:

http://www.toyota.com.ec/colorPicker_Dyna.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom