1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help with My "F" Engine!

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by scottryana, Feb 13, 2004.

1. scottryana

scottryana

Media:
    Albums:
    I am living in Washington DC and I know that my "F" engine is in bad shape. It runs ok, even though it has started back firing and sputtering. Mostly the sputtering happens when it is cold and the backfiring happens when the engine is hot and I am letting off the accelerator. The engine has a very noticeable loss of power and feels like it is missing when you step on the throttle. I need to know if there is anyone in MD, PA, VA, DC that is a good "F" mechanic? I don't want to sink a lot of money into this engine, but i want it to run for another year until I can get a swap figured out. Help!!

Thanks,
    Ryan.

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    sound like a carb/fuel issue more than a motor issue. Maybe ignition but prolly carb

3. scottryana

scottryana

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry, Newbie mistake.... I guess was referring to the "Engine" as a whole; carb, intake, ignition, engine, exhuast. I am looking for someone that has a good grip on all of these things so that I can get the engine "tuned up" and running better.

Ryan.

4. toddslater

toddslater

I'm a two hour ride up 95...in Avondale, PA. Should you want to drive up sometime I'd happy to help you out.

5. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Ryan,

Have you (or can you) slip in a new set of plugs? You may find a significant improvement from something just that simple. That's not the only thing going on according to your description but I think you'll like the results.
    Rice

6. scottryana

scottryana

Media:
    Albums:
    Rice,

I just ordered new platinum plugs and wires from napa online, they should be on my doorstep this Monday. I am going to swap them out a soon as possible I hope that it help some.

Ryan.

7. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

You may want to use Toyota or Nippon plugs. The PO had Bosch in my FJ40 and I think they ran a little hot. Swapped out for Nippon plugs and I noticed the difference.

Just my opinion.

8. kulangot

kulangot

sold

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">